How to get labels off a jar (the easy way)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:47 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I frequently reuse pickle jars for other purposes (normally it's picking other things; I made pickled beets last night).

I've been using the "scrape with my fingernails, wash in hot water" method, which is a lot of work. This way is a lot easier:
  1. Rub a little oil on the label.
  2. Soak the oiled jar with warm water (inside and out).
  3. Leave it there overnight.
  4. Remove the label using a scouring sponge if needed.
Here are the details if you want to learn more:

https://food52.com/blog/19134-the-laziest-way-to-get-a-sticker-off-a-jar-is-also-the-most-effective

I can confirm that it works...even better than advertised! I decided to try this with a Chinkiang vinegar label, which has always seemed like it's fused to the glass. I applied oil, immersed the bottle in warm water (inside and out), and expected that I'd have to wait until the next day. But, an hour later, the label had slipped off the bottle on its own!

I reuse jars all,the time, I don't worry about the labels, just fill and seal as normal. I write on the lids. Last 16 jars were tomato relish from my garden. I reuse bottles as well for sauce.

Russ

Do you have any easy way of removing labels from saucepans? We couldn't even burn this one off.

pan label.jpg

Mineral spirits works great on just about any adhesive used on glass or metal. You have to let it soak through the paper though. It is also known as white spirits. It can't be used on plasiic.

Goo Gone..jpg
Goof Off..jpg

Try one of THESE. It's gum & sticky residue's worst nightmare!! :wink:

Last edited:
Doesn't work for me. I have a Coconut Oil jar and two pickle jars. All three have plastic labels.(not paper). Oil doesn't work, and a dishwasher doesn't phaze it.

Carbon-off.jpg

Try THIS.

You can get it from Amazon.com. if nothing else works, then this SHOULD!! And it WON'T etch aluminum! :wink:

Doesn't work for me. I have a Coconut Oil jar and two pickle jars. All three have plastic labels.(not paper). Oil doesn't work, and a dishwasher doesn't phaze it.

Most annoying! I know exactly what you mean and haven't found a method of removing those plastic labels.

005.jpg

Most labels, like the one on this pressure cooker that I bought, are, or should be plastic. They peel right off, with no trouble. I suggested Carbon-Off for Yorky because of the residue left on the side of the pressure cooker, which now has to be treated with like a pan that has carbon build-up. I had some, but ran out of it, & Now, again, I have a skilltet that has carbon build-up.

Last edited:
Bar Keeper's Friend and a little elbow grease will get the carbon off the bottom of that pot. You can find it in the cleanser section of the grocery store.

And as for adhesive a little baking soda and alcohol rubbed with a towel or sponge seems to work for me.

I personally would use something especially for copper then. My mother had the Revere Ware copper bottom pans and they were the bane of my existance as a kid because guess who got to clean them. And it had to be done frequently as she liked to see the pretty copper.

Back
Top Bottom