How to make a rice burger?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
8:34 AM
I like Japanese food, although I pretty much only had onigiri, sukiyaki, tonkatsu, croquettes, sushi, sashimi... sweet stuff like, mochi, obanyaki... takoyaki, which I just don't like... Okay, I'm naming more than a few, but I don't consider myself an expert on Japanese food or whatever, because I've recently found out so much more about it. Japanese food is still something exotic and special occasion-y to me.

But, I cook--so, I like to experiment! I've got another thread up on my ploy to now make a Staffordshire obanyaki (or should I say... oatbanyaki!), and I recently read about tsukune, which is ground chicken meat barbecue. The recipe that I linked doesn't even use egg! The patties don't have "filler" or breadcrumbs to pad it out! It's just chicken, more chicken, miso for flavor, some flavorful greens, a splash of sesame oil... it's basically pure protein.

I want to make that into a chickenbuger patty.

The flavors, of course, are going to be very Asian. The sauce is soy sauce with mirin and sugar reduced to a syrupy thing. This is very Asian. I could sandwich it in a bun, with sesame seeds on top and say it's fusion and it matches the sesame oil used in it, but I want a rice burger. It won't taste complete without rice.

I know that this rice bun thing can happen, because I've gone to Japanese rice burger joints where the bun of the burger is actually made out of rice, and my local McDonalds even released rice burgers of their own for a time.

But I don't know how to do it, to make it hold its shape. If you do, please post. Is it fried to keep its shape? Does it need to be sticky rice?

(Of course, I could just have a lump of rice just there, like a side of mashed potatoes with the chicken patty on top or as chicken sausage--instead of skewered, anything but skewered because everybody's done and does skewered tsukune. But where's your sense of culinary craftsmanship???)

Last edited:
In the recipe I have for rice and gruyere sausages 250g of long grain rice is mixed with an egg yolk and 25g of plain flour which holds the sausage together when the mixture is divided (after other ingredients are added) into 8 balls and then using wet hands rolled into a sausage shape. I know it took a little practice but once fried, they held their shape very well. I guess the grated gruyere (cheese) also helped a touch as well.

In the Aduki bean and rice burger recipe I have, 250g of basmati rice is mixed with 75g of grated or crumbled paneer. This time no flour or egg is used and it is important that the rice is not stirred or the lid of the pan lifted whilst cooking and is allowed to absorb all of the stock (250ml). It is then left until the rice is cool enough to handle and the burgers are formed and again fried to hold them together.

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom