How to make broiled scallops more flavorful?

Local time
2:51 PM
I am a HUGE fan of any type of seafood, with very few exceptions. One of my favorites are scallops, but I don't like how some broiled scallops can come out so bland. I've tried adding various spices with butter, but none of them did the trick. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what spices or broiling methods produce more flavorful scallops? Thanks!

This recipe on FoodWishes recently looked rather interesting. I've been meaning to try it but I haven't yet hunted down some sea shells yet:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/11/coquilles-st-jacques-hey-have-you-tried.html

It's basically scallops over a bed of sauteed mushrooms, smothered in a creamy cheese sauce, then broiled until golden. I know some people insist you shouldn't pair cheese with seafood, but in many cases I love it. I suppose if you couldn't find the sea shells, you could perhaps find some interesting looking saucers instead at a thrift store and use those instead. They would just have to be heat proof to hold up to the heat from the broiler.

Another time I had them at a restaurant, they were seared then served over a simple asparagus sauce that was flecked with pieces of roasted red peppers. Very bold visually, and they tasted great. I'm not sure what they put in the asparagus sauce, but it was definitely made to order because the color was intense bright green.

Back
Top Bottom