How to make perfect baked potatoes

Absolutely! I put a probe thermometer in my spuds when I bake them. 212F every time. I bake them at 350F, and it takes about an hour for a big tater. Worth every minute!

CD
I used to split open my baked spuds and then fluff the flesh with a fork, burning the bejeesus out of my fingers in the process.

Then I watched Martha Stewart baking potatoes, and after getting it out of the oven, she slammed it on the countertop three or four times (these were foil-wrapped). Opened the potato...perfectly fluffed.

She may be a smug ol' thing, but that was a good tip.

I used to split open my baked spuds and then fluff the flesh with a fork, burning the bejeesus out of my fingers in the process.

Then I watched Martha Stewart baking potatoes, and after getting it out of the oven, she slammed it on the countertop three or four times (these were foil-wrapped). Opened the potato...perfectly fluffed.

I slam mine on the countertop, but only once. There is a fine line between good eating and potato abuse.

BTW, I never wrap my spuds in foil. I rub them with EVOO and salt them. I like to eat the skins.

CD

That is a nice tip. Still unsure of how you were burning your fingers if you were using a fork? If you were squeezing the potato with your other hand, why not use tongs instead?

That is a nice tip. Still unsure of how you were burning your fingers if you were using a fork? If you were squeezing the potato with your other hand, why not use tongs instead?

It doesn't taste as good if you don't pay a price for it. I burn my fingers every time I bake a potato. It is part of the process.

CD

It doesn't taste as good if you don't pay a price for it. I burn my fingers every time I bake a potato. It is part of the process.

CD
If I burn myself, it's because I came into contact with a hot appliance accidentally (brushing up against the oven door when removing something). Yes, I own oven mitts. Do I use them? Most of the time, no, because the small potholders are near the front of the drawer and easier to grab when I am in a hurry trying to get something out of the oven quickly. At any rate, if food is burning me, it's in my mouth because I wasn't smart enough to let it cool down more before eating it.

If I burn myself, it's because I came into contact with a hot appliance accidentally (brushing up against the oven door when removing something). Yes, I own oven mitts. Do I use them? Most of the time, no, because the small potholders are near the front of the drawer and easier to grab when I am in a hurry trying to get something out of the oven quickly. At any rate, if food is burning me, it's in my mouth because I wasn't smart enough to let it cool down more before eating it.

The worst is when you are tasting something you are cooking for seasoning (as you should), and you burn your %$#@& tongue. Then you can't taste anything for two days. So, you spent five hours prepping and cooking food you won't be able to taste.

CD

There is a fine line between good eating and potato abuse.
Martha has issues since getting out of the jug.

BTW, I never wrap my spuds in foil. I rub them with EVOO and salt them. I like to eat the skins.
I've been known to go both ways.

The worst is when you are tasting something you are cooking for seasoning (as you should), and you burn your %$#@& tongue.
Also, I tend to measure salt by the pinch, so a pinch is about 1/4 tsp. Pinch, pinch, stir, stick finger in whatever I'm cooking, taste (aka The Pepin Maneuver), and say, "Wow, that's really salty..." :laugh:

Also, I tend to measure salt by the pinch, so a pinch is about 1/4 tsp. Pinch, pinch, stir, stick finger in whatever I'm cooking, taste (aka The Pepin Maneuver), and say, "Wow, that's really salty..." :laugh:
And then put a potato in it to draw out the salt!

Back
Top Bottom