How to not smoke up the kitchen when cooking bacon

brutal37138

Veteran
Local time
12:36 PM
Ok, I need some advice. Every time we attempt to cook bacon, it smokes and not just a little bit, but it pretty much makes the whole kitchen smokey and sometimes the whole house (it's not a huge house). I'm not sure if its the bacon we're buying, the pans we are using, or the temperature it is being cooked at. Any ideas? Because I have a feeling we are doing something wrong.

You probably aren't going to like these two suggestions but here they are:

1. cook bacon in the microwave. Yes, it lacks that awesome pan fried flavor. But. No smoke.
2. cook it in the oven, on a pan, covered.

Cooking it in the oven to me yields the same flavor as pan fried on top of the stove, but there is FAR less clean up and it doesn't smoke. I lay it out on a shallow baking sheet (one with sides that won't allow the grease to run everywhere) and cover with foil. I like my bacon a little crispy, so I do that for, I don't know, 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven. I just keep checking it to see if it is done.

Ok, I need some advice. Every time we attempt to cook bacon, it smokes and not just a little bit, but it pretty much makes the whole kitchen smokey and sometimes the whole house (it's not a huge house). I'm not sure if its the bacon we're buying, the pans we are using, or the temperature it is being cooked at. Any ideas? Because I have a feeling we are doing something wrong.

I have the same problem! I have been trying to figure it out but recently If I notice that it is starting to smoke up I just lower the temperature and I turn on the microwave vent fan and that helps a little :/

Buying an air purifier or a stove extractor fan could be a good investment to prevent smoke when cooking not just bacon but many other food, including the removal of strong odors, like when you boil cauliflower.

You could try draining some of the fat as you're cooking it, into something like a sturdy glass jar. Also, cook it at a lower heat, you probably have it up too high. I don't cook bacon in a pan, but when I am cooking sausage, if I have it up too high it almost always sets off my smoke alarms.

Yeah, I drain as I cook and don't have too much trouble with smoke. It also cooks better that way, with crisp bits. And I use the drippings later in other stuff. Win-win.

Alrighty! Drain and lower temperature. We'll give it a try, more often than not its my boyfriend. We've been blaming it on our crappy skillets, but we just bought a new one and he smoked the whole house up again! Lol I guess we'll eventually figure it out!

Oh, I like the idea of baking it too and we have the perfect pans for that!! Can't wait to give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom