How to open tight jar lid ?

There are at least two types of manual device which can do it. This one - where a strap adjusts to fit the rim of the lid and then a lever action is used. I have this exact one and it works really well:

Or the other type which has holes of various diameters to grip lids:

I think there may be other types but both the above work quite well.

As fo doing it without a device - where the issue is a vacuum (sometimes this happens with preserves or pickles) I've been known to piece the lid. This of course means you then have a damaged lid!

If its a small spice jar and you don't have any other device a pair of pliers or an adjustable spanner might work.

Last edited:
There are at least two types of manual device which can do it. This one - where a strap adjusts to fit the rim of the lid and then a lever action is used. I have this exact one and it works really well:

View attachment 41800

Or the other type which has holes of various diameters to grip lids:

View attachment 41801

I think there may be other types but both the above work quite well.

As fo doing it without a device - where the issue is a vacuum (sometimes this happens with preserves or pickles) I've been known to piece the lid. This of course means you then have a damaged lid!

If its a small spice jar and you don't have any other device a pair of pliers or an adjustable spanner might work.
thank you, I really looking for a tool to make my life easier by the way I should exercise and get more muscle.

Some of the usual tricks include gently (or not so gently) tapping all around the edge of the lid, using something with a little weight to it, like the handle side of a butter knife; you can also try running hot water around/over the lid - not boiling, just hot.

I have several Ove-Glove-style oven mitts, and those have silicon bits on the palms and fingers, which just happen to make them perfect for gripping stubborn lids, and I also have several rubber pad thingies, usually given out free with someone's company name on them, that are made for this as well.

Usually, though, I just cuss a lot, and then hand it over to my wife. 💪

Back
Top Bottom