How to prepare kidney beans?

burrr

Veteran
Local time
3:07 PM
I've recently started using pulses in recipes as they're brilliant value and I've discovered that the kids like pulse based meals, winner! I started with tinned pulses but am now trying to use dried, as they're cheaper. I follow the packet instructions for soaking then boiling them, but I'm having difficulty with kidney beans. I made spicy bean enchiladas which were very yummy, except that the kidney beans were still hard a bit. I soaked them overnight, for over 12 hours, then washed and boiled them - high temp for 15 mins then reduced and simmered for an hour but they still had too much of a bite to them.

I'd appreciate some advice on how to soften them to the consistency of tinned ones.

I was going to ask if you soaked them first, as that is usually a big factor, but then I saw you only cooked them for 15 minutes. It takes way longer than that! Soaking them overnight was a good move, but it's better to simmer them at a lower temperature and check them periodically to see if they still have water and to check the tenderness. I don't care for them personally, so I rarely make them. It's been a while, but I'd say check them after 30 minutes and just keep checking them until they are the consistency you prefer.

The soaking doesn't really soften them, but does something to keep them from causing so much gas. It's the simmering that does it.

Thanks for the tips, I cook them high temp for 15 minutes then simmer for an hour because that's what the packet says. So I should simmer them for longer than that? I think I will have to experiment with the cooking time. When I made the enchiladas I was waiting for the beans to be done to add to the rest of the recipe so I didn't have time to play about with the cooking time, so I'll leave more time to do so next time.

Thanks for the tips, I cook them high temp for 15 minutes then simmer for an hour because that's what the packet says. So I should simmer them for longer than that? I think I will have to experiment with the cooking time. When I made the enchiladas I was waiting for the beans to be done to add to the rest of the recipe so I didn't have time to play about with the cooking time, so I'll leave more time to do so next time.

Yes, you should definitely simmer longer. The package instructions for everything are based on cooking in one place. Things vary from place to place and things like altitude an effect cooking times. Just like rice and pasta, you should always check the texture before you remove beans from the stove. It's best to make them the day before for enchiladas.

I would have though an hour and 15 minutes after a twelve hour soak ought to be enough. However, beans which are old take much longer to cook, so that might be a reason. You could invest in a pressure cooker if you haven't already got one. Then you can cook beans in a matter of minutes!

I have some around here for it feels like decades and I honestly put off doing anything with them because of the length of time that usually has to go in to preparing them. I am glad I stumbled on this bit of information. They are in the fridge so I don't think they have started to grow.

I have some around here for it feels like decades and I honestly put off doing anything with them because of the length of time that usually has to go in to preparing them. I am glad I stumbled on this bit of information. They are in the fridge so I don't think they have started to grow.
I think if you add bicarb of soda to the soaking water it speeds things up.

I don't think they're old, unless they've been in the shop for a long time. I'll try the bicarb tip, and cooking them the day before.

Winterybella, I sometimes feel like that, it's only really since I've stopped work to have my baby that I've found I can prepare stuff more like this. When I was working I just couldn't get organised to do things like soak pulses the night before!

I don't think they're old, unless they've been in the shop for a long time. I'll try the bicarb tip, and cooking them the day before.
Another thought is, if you have a slow cooker you could use that. Soak overnight. Boil for ten minutes first thing in morning (you need to do that to kill toxins). Then put in slow cooker and forget all abut it until dinner time.:happy:

I soaked them overnight, for over 12 hours, then washed and boiled them - high temp for 15 mins then reduced and simmered for an hour but they still had too much of a bite to them.
Did you add salt to the water? I ask because whatever you do, you must not add salt to the cooking water with kidney beans?
Also as previously mentioned, adding bicarbonate of soda to the water can help.
My best guess is that the beans were old, but I rarely take notice of what the 'destructions' say and I cook them until they are cooked, rather than the timer said 60 minutes so 60 minutes is what they have. Things varying too much for life to be so set and you only have to open the door in our house and cooking times increase because the door opens directly into the kitchen, chilling the room down and changing boiling items.

They won't start to grow unless you soak them. Beans can be stored dry for a very long time; I have never heard of an instance where they sprouted on their own and started to grow a plant completely on their own.

Another thought is, if you have a slow cooker you could use that. Soak overnight. Boil for ten minutes first thing in morning (you need to do that to kill toxins). Then put in slow cooker and forget all abut it until dinner time.:happy:

I would never have considered the slow cooker. Actually, when I saw the conversation, I was thinking of a pressure cooker to get the job done quickly. I honestly had these beans so long I thought of throwing them out but they look fine. Kill the toxins? That's more news to me.

Last edited:
I don't have a pressure cooker, but the slow cooker is a great idea!

I did try some yesterday, I added bicarb to the soaking the night before and it seems to have helped a lot. I didn't add salt to the beans any time I prepared them, but I did add it into the recipe that I was putting the beans into so I suppose if they weren't properly cooked, putting them into the seasoned recipe has halted any further cooking. Good to know.

Thanks for all the help folks, I wanted to come back and tell you what worked. We had bean chilli rather than enchiladas this time and it was delicious, definitely going to be doing more with dried pulses now.

Back
Top Bottom