How to skin almonds?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:23 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Does anyone have a quicker way of skinning almonds than soaking them in boiling water for 20 minutes or so and then pinching each and every one of them out of their skins? I am asking because I have just sat and done this yet again with another 1kg of almonds and this particular brand is (raw and organic) are particularly stubborn.... Usually I would not skin them, but this is for making an almond based cheese (a feta replacement) and it really needs the skins off for the colour of the cheese to remain whitish....

I've never had to soak them in boiling water for nearly that long, just a couple of minutes tops, but the squeezy bit, I don't think there's anyway around that.

I've never had to soak them in boiling water for nearly that long, just a couple of minutes tops, but the squeezy bit, I don't think there's anyway around that.
it depends on the variety. and also if they are raw or not. these are raw and it makes a considerable difference. (although soaking them in boiling water defeats the object of them raw! but it is pretty hard to get any organic non-raw almonds in bulk (much cheaper that way). These skins are not thin and flakey... they are pretty decent skins, not helpful for removing them though. lol

Sorry, but I use exactly the same boiling water method. You just have to treat the peeling as a therapeutic half hour - like peeling quail eggs or snapping the leaves off artichokes!

Sorry, but I use exactly the same boiling water method. You just have to treat the peeling as a therapeutic half hour - like peeling quail eggs or snapping the leaves off artichokes!
Took an hour plus... there has to be another way else there would be a massive labour shortage in the world.

I was wondering if soaking in boiling water then a quick roast/toast would work? But I guess no one else knows of anything.

Took an hour plus... there has to be another way else there would be a massive labour shortage in the world.

I was wondering if soaking in boiling water then a quick roast/toast would work? But I guess no one else knows of anything.

I read somewhere that soaking overnight makes it easier.

I read somewhere that soaking overnight makes it easier.
It didn't with these, hence the questioning...
Usually soaking overnight is to make the actual nut softer and easier to digest. Plus soaking they makes them easier to pulverize.
The skins contain large quantities of tannins which is why they are usually removed (excluding asthetic value in a white cheese).

I find podding peas at Xmas therapeutic as well,and peeling 20kgs of onions :)

Russ

Yes I do.
It takes 2 hours instead of four :hyper: :hyper: :laugh: :laugh:

Are you sure you know? I can almost peel a quail's egg shell off in one continuous strip using 'the method'. Obviously if you have 100 quail's eggs to peel for a professional catering event or restaurant its never going to be super fast to do them all, but 'the method' makes them much faster to peel the hen's eggs. The shells almost slip of...

Are you sure you know? I can almost peel a quail's egg shell off in one continuous strip using 'the method'. Obviously if you have 100 quail's eggs to peel for a professional catering event or restaurant its never going to be super fast to do them all, but 'the method' makes them much faster to peel the hen's eggs. The shells almost slip of...
Boil for 2-3 minutes; straight into ice cold water, gentle crack on a hard surface then roll the eggs gently to crack the rest of the shell - or am I missing something? I got that info from a Quail farm. I once did 100 eggs for a New Year´s Eve party and swore I´d never, ever do it again!! Took me ages, and half the eggs had chunks taken out of them. Maybe I´ve just got fat fingers!

Boil for 2-3 minutes; straight into ice cold water, gentle crack on a hard surface then roll the eggs gently to crack the rest of the shell - or am I missing something? I got that info from a Quail farm. I once did 100 eggs for a New Year´s Eve party and swore I´d never, ever do it again!! Took me ages, and half the eggs had chunks taken out of them. Maybe I´ve just got fat fingers!

Ah - the way to do it really easily is to soak the cooked eggs in vinegar. Any cheap vinegar. The shells partially dissolve and... see here:

Quails' eggs

Back
Top Bottom