How to work with oyster sauce?

Orangeapron

Local time
4:10 AM
I knew about oyster sauce years ago, but never tried it. Someone who knew I was curious about it, gave me a jar last week. I would like to know how to work with it correctly, also to know how you use it in your recipes and what ingredients go well with it. Thanks in advance

I use oyster sauce mostly for stir-frying vegetables - leafy greens such as (local names here:) kailan, bai cai, chye sim, but also bean sprouts, cabbage and broccoli.

A typical recipe would be bit of sliced garlic in a wok, then in goes the chopped veg. After that a dash of soy sauce and stir fry for a minute or two, then in goes tbsp of oyster sauce (sometimes just loosened with a bit of water) and stir fried for another minute. Done. I normally don't put it in early as it can catch and burn. There are many, many variations on this and below is one I just found quickly from some local Youtubers:

I use oyster sauce mostly for stir-frying vegetables - leafy greens such as (local names here:) kailan, bai cai, chye sim, but also bean sprouts, cabbage and broccoli.

A typical recipe would be bit of sliced garlic in a wok, then in goes the chopped veg. After that a dash of soy sauce and stir fry for a minute or two, then in goes tbsp of oyster sauce (sometimes just loosened with a bit of water) and stir fried for another minute. Done. I normally don't put it in early as it can catch and burn. There are many, many variations on this and below is one I just found quickly from some local Youtubers:

Many thanks, very interesting and valuable information. Thanks again.

I'd second that - its delicious with leafy greens. I also add it to stir-fried rice and Nasi Goreng (probably not authentic but it works).

Its got me thinking though - maybe I'm overlooking an interesting ingredient which could be used in more Western style dishes?

Or something slightly different, Beef in oyster sauce kebabs.

Thin slice steak and marinade in soy, shaoshin wine (or sherry) sesame oil and cornflour.

Hot fry the steak in a wok, add sliced spring onions then oyster sauce and a little soy so there is a good sticky coating on the beef.

Dollop the meat into an opened warm pitta and add salad, eat immediately.

Or something slightly different, Beef in oyster sauce kebabs.

Thin slice steak and marinade in soy, shaoshin wine (or sherry) sesame oil and cornflour.

Hot fry the steak in a wok, add sliced spring onions then oyster sauce and a little soy so there is a good sticky coating on the beef.

Dollop the meat into an opened warm pitta and add salad, eat immediately.
This one sounds really good. I'll try it soon for sure. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom