How's inflation affecting you?

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
2:52 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
Inspired by a discussion in the ' what produce did you buy today' thread I thought maybe we could start a thread to discuss how inflation is affecting members & how they cope.

Inflation is currently at a staggering 17% in the Netherlands, one of the highest rates in Europe. So we've definitely noticed things are a lot more expensive than before.

For example, butter used to cost a max of 2.80 for 250 grams, it's now up to 4 or 5 euro a piece. Milk used to be less than 1 euro a liter and is now 2. Tomatoes were less than 1 euro per kilo and are now 3.

We've coped by switching stores for most of our groceries, buying less meat and using a lot less gas and more airfryer or slowcooker cooking.
We're also using our car less and using less gas & electricity in general.

How about you?

Portugal is being badly hit by inflation too. I deal with it by making some stuff at home instead of buying it: I now make my own greek yogurt and granola instead of buying it from the stores. I've always cooked in batches so I can have leftovers but now I cook even more food at once so I can freeze some of it for later. I buy food in bulk when it's on sale,so I can store for later. I stopped regularly buying cereal and cookies too. And I try to be creative in how I can use ingredients and make the most of what I have at home (I do have some stuff in the pantry from my long gone ice cream making frenzy and I'm trying to think what to do with it instead of letting it go bad and throwing it out). I also started never using the oven to cook just one thing, if I'm going to turn the oven on I'll cook multiple things in it at once. Also eating out less - I use to eat out once a week, sometimes more, I'm trying to cut that down to 3 times per month max. And trying to get used to doing stuff with less lighting - I usually hate when the house is looking a bit dark and I would turn on the lights as soon as it gets a bit dim (but only in the room where I am), now I'm trying to get used to doing some activities without turning the lights on when the sunlight is dim - stuff like taking a shower or tidying up the house.

I do believe it's good to be mindful about how we use resources like water, gas and electricity - both for our wallet and for the planet, so this should have always been a concern. But having to stop buying essential items is something no one should have to do.

Last edited:
It’s not affecting me at all yet. I haven’t changed my buying habits or driving habits so far.

That’s not to say things aren’t more expensive, but I generally get what I want at the shops, as far as food goes.

I forgot to add, ever since I started making these changes, I feel like I am ALWAYS in the kitchen. Just the yogurt and the granola alone give me a lot of work. Plus cleaning, tidying up, putting away clean dishes etc. Maybe when I finally build enough backlog of store forzen meals I'll be able to spend less time in the kitchen.

I forgot to add, ever since I started making these changes, I feel like I am ALWAYS in the kitchen.
That was true when MrsT had her stroke nearly 10 years ago and lost her job. We had to go from eating out every other day or so (and usually every meal on the weekends) to staying home and eating stuff I made.

According to conservative politicians and the right-wing media, inflation is putting all Americans in the poor house. But, the reality is somewhat short of that. Inflation is a very real issue, but not like it is in Europe right now. We have supply chain issues boosting inflation, and energy prices are up, but we are mostly isolated from the "Putin" factor.

To be honest, part of our inflation is coming from big corporations taking advantage of world news. Corporate profits in some industries, including oil and gas, are at near record highs. I have no problem with companies making profits, but making a profit and price gouging are two different things. Making huge profits and blaming it on inflation is BS, in my opinion.

My own personal shopping habits have not changed much. My house is paid off. My car is paid off. I have to eat, and like to eat good food. There are some advantages to being over 60. I do feel for single parents working hard to pay the rent and feed the kids. ANY level of inflation hurts them way more than it hurts me.

CD

It’s not affecting me at all yet. I haven’t changed my buying habits or driving habits so far.

That’s not to say things aren’t more expensive, but I generally get what I want at the shops, as far as food goes.
Well, I can also still buy what I want. But due to our high energy bill last year, we've had to make some changes if we also want to go out for dinner etc. Which we did. But by all means, we're very well off. The changes I made just made sure we could keep doing the same things as before.

I forgot to add, ever since I started making these changes, I feel like I am ALWAYS in the kitchen. Just the yogurt and the granola alone give me a lot of work. Plus cleaning, tidying up, putting away clean dishes etc. Maybe when I finally build enough backlog of store forzen meals I'll be able to spend less time in the kitchen.
Yes, this is a dillema I've felt too! :hug:
Due to my illness we used to order in semi frequently, but now we can't afford to and ready made supermarket food is pretty sub par here. So I'm left to eat baked potatoes a little more than I like, because I'm just not able to cook properly all the time.

Sounds like most of us are in the same boat. Sure, inflation sucks, but we don't have to sell our jewelry to make the rent/house payment next month.

As the Sufi poet Attar of Nishapur originally said, "This too shall pass."

CD

Lu and I are fortunate to be at a stage in life where the mortgage is paid off and we both have decent, secure jobs. Inflation is an issue in the UK, but rising mortgage and rental costs, along with fuel are what are really hurting people and we are isolated from that. I am more careful about the energy I use in the house, but that is more about doing my bit preserving gas for winter than saving money

My biggest concern is the house payment. I'm expecting it's going to double, maybe triple next year. If it triples I can still pay it if I can keep my job, but I won't be able to save money. Right now I live comfortably but the Euribor rates and its impacts on my house payment is one big wild card I'm not sure how to deal with, and it's giving me huge amounts of anxiety right now.

My biggest concern is the house payment. I'm expecting it's going to double, maybe triple next year. If it triples I can still pay it if I can keep my job, but I won't be able to save money. Right now I live comfortably but the Euribor rates and its impacts on my house payment is one big wild card I'm not sure how to deal with, and it's giving me huge amounts of anxiety right now.

I'm confused. I thought you bought your house, which means you have a mortgage. Your house payment shouldn't change, unless you have an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM). Even with an ARM, the rate should be limited.

CD

I'm confused. I thought you bought your house, which means you have a mortgage. Your house payment shouldn't change, unless you have an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM). Even with an ARM, the rate should be limited.

CD
That's not how it works in Europe. Our house mortgages are dependent on Euribor which is the rate at which european banks borrow money between them. So I bought my house last year with Euribor at - 0,4% and now it is at 2%. You can also have a fixed rate, but only for the first 5 or 10 years of your contract, depending on the bank, after that your back to the non fixed rate and the Euribor fluctuation.

That's not how it works in Europe. Our house mortgages are dependent on Euribor which is the rate at which european banks borrow money between them. So I bought my house last year with Euribor at - 0,4% and now it is at 2%. You can also have a fixed rate, but only for the first 5 or 10 years of your contract, depending on the bank, after that your back to the non fixed rate and the Euribor fluctuation.

Wow, that's messed up. I genuinely hope things get better there, so your home payments don't go up like you suggested they could.

CD

Back
Top Bottom