How's inflation affecting you?

At least the food choices have improved at many airports. It is still expensive, but at least it is good.
That´s very true. When I was travelling frequently, 25 years ago, I can recall some pretty dire experiences.
Yesterday´s bill still came as something of a shock, however - especially as I´d had a pint in Gatwick at only $6!!

I haven’t noticed it too much with food I buy to be honest, and I’m fortunate for that because I know its different for everyone depending on location. I’ve seen some specific items go up in price but they are things I’m either stocked up on or don’t use often.

Inspired by a discussion in the ' what produce did you buy today' thread I thought maybe we could start a thread to discuss how inflation is affecting members & how they cope.

Inflation is currently at a staggering 17% in the Netherlands, one of the highest rates in Europe. So we've definitely noticed things are a lot more expensive than before.

For example, butter used to cost a max of 2.80 for 250 grams, it's now up to 4 or 5 euro a piece. Milk used to be less than 1 euro a liter and is now 2. Tomatoes were less than 1 euro per kilo and are now 3.

We've coped by switching stores for most of our groceries, buying less meat and using a lot less gas and more airfryer or slowcooker cooking.
We're also using our car less and using less gas & electricity in general.

How about you?
This surprises me a bit - I have a few friends that live in the Netherlands and it sounds like there is a lot of agriculture and dairy there. Do these price hikes originate primarily with petrol prices and the manufacturing process for some of these foods?

This surprises me a bit - I have a few friends that live in the Netherlands and it sounds like there is a lot of agriculture and dairy there. Do these price hikes originate primarily with petrol prices and the manufacturing process for some of these foods?
Yes they do, it's problems with the supply chain and rising energy costs. Also problems with fertiliser cause inflation in goods coming from farms. But the main reason is the staggering energy prices we have here.

It's an old topic but I believe this belongs here: ECB confronts a cold reality: companies are cashing in on inflation

Here in Portugal inflation is around 9% but prices of essential goods have gone up 30% - 40%. That's not all due to "increase in production costs". According to their financial statements supermarket's profits have increased from 2021 to 2022, even despite the war and the energy crisis etc, and Portuguese consumer rights organizations say some supermarkets make a profit of over 50% in some consumer goods. This is criminal. Playing with people's ability to keep food on the table at such a sensitive time should be a crime.

It's an old topic but I believe this belongs here: ECB confronts a cold reality: companies are cashing in on inflation

Here in Portugal inflation is around 9% but prices of essential goods have gone up 30% - 40%. That's not all due to "increase in production costs". According to their financial statements supermarket's profits have increased from 2021 to 2022, even despite the war and the energy crisis etc, and Portuguese consumer rights organizations say some supermarkets make a profit of over 50% in some consumer goods. This is criminal. Playing with people's ability to keep food on the table at such a sensitive time should be a crime.

Price gouging is a significant cause of high prices. Energy companies are posting record profits.

CD

Price gouging is a significant cause of high prices. Energy companies are posting record profits.

CD
Yeah, record profits for supermarkets and food producers here too. But at the same time they are supposedly sorry that they 'have to' redirect the higher prices to the consumer. I see the same thing happen as LissaC here. It's infuriating.

That was true when MrsT had her stroke nearly 10 years ago and lost her job. We had to go from eating out every other day or so (and usually every meal on the weekends) to staying home and eating stuff I made.
Well it's terrible that MrsT had a stroke, but I don't think eating stuff you made could be considered a hardship.

It’s not affecting me at all yet. I haven’t changed my buying habits or driving habits so far.

That’s not to say things aren’t more expensive, but I generally get what I want at the shops, as far as food goes.

This for us too. I do watch the sales closer though and if a protein or staple that we use a lot of goes on sale I will go ahead and buy if we are starting to get low rather than waiting until we are out.

Well, my very healthy chicken feed price for 50 pounds of the stuff increased by $20 dollars within the past six weeks. I may just go get generic. Especially since in the winter the birds only lay eggs erratically.

Why don't you mix it like when they would add cornflakes or oats to stretch meatloaf.

This for us too. I do watch the sales closer though and if a protein or staple that we use a lot of goes on sale I will go ahead and buy if we are starting to get low rather than waiting until we are out.

I've been doing that for years. Especially meats. My vacuum sealer has more than paid for itself.

CD

Lu and I are fortunate to be at a stage in life where the mortgage is paid off and we both have decent, secure jobs. Inflation is an issue in the UK, but rising mortgage and rental costs, along with fuel are what are really hurting people and we are isolated from that. I am more careful about the energy I use in the house, but that is more about doing my bit preserving gas for winter than saving money
Yes, we are fortunate to that our house is paid off as well. Hubby was at the end of his mortgage when we met 24 years ago.

We've kept the thermostat this winter at 68F, whereas in previous years it wasn't a thought to have it at 70-72 if we wanted. Let's hope summer isn't a scorcher.

I've only been slightly impacted by inflation at the grocery store. Eggs, bread, and peanut butter have increased a lot in price. Hubby gets 2 eggs at breakfast now instead of 3. The bread and peanut butter are for sandwiches for the squirrels. I haven't scaled back on them yet! :laugh:

Meat is more expensive but I have a chest freezer in the garage so I stock up when it's on sale. Lobster has doubled in price so we haven't had it in a few years now.

Well I don´t know much about inflation, but I do know when I´ve been ripped off. After an 8 hour flight, I really needed a beer, so stopped at this place for an IPA. Didn´t ask the price, because even in London, which I consider way more expensive than NY, the most expensive pint will cost you about £6.50. These guys definitely take the biscuit and should probably be locked up for six months with nothing else but warm Miller´s Lite.
Add the obligatory tip (why the tip? She pulled a pint, that´s it) and the total came to over $17.

View attachment 92323

Like CD wrote, it's cost of airport food and it's been that way as long as I can remember. First time I ate at Five Guys, a burger joint for those that don't know, upscale from Burger King and McDonald's, it was over $20 for a burger, small fries and a medium Coke, as that's my go to order for a fast food burger. This would have been in late 1986 or early 1987. They hadn't been in business that long and I remember how excited i was to see them in the airport since they were supposed to be so good. Over $20 was a LOT for a burger meal back then. It's not even that much for the same meal now, over 30 years later.

Liquor prices are even worse in the airport.

Like CD wrote, it's cost of airport food and it's been that way as long as I can remember. First time I ate at Five Guys, a burger joint for those that don't know, upscale from Burger King and McDonald's, it was over $20 for a burger, small fries and a medium Coke, as that's my go to order for a fast food burger. This would have been in late 1986 or early 1987. They hadn't been in business that long and I remember how excited i was to see them in the airport since they were supposed to be so good. Over $20 was a LOT for a burger meal back then. It's not even that much for the same meal now, over 30 years later.

Liquor prices are even worse in the airport.
Yeah, the last time I ate at 5 guys it was $18 for a little bacon cheeseburger, little fries, and small drink. That was about a month ago. Several years ago it was only $14 for the same meal.

In regards to airport food and drink prices, sporting events and concerts are ridiculously high as well.

Last edited:
We're feeling it, our grocery shopping has almost doubled from 450 a month to 800 , food price inflation is hitting us quite hard. And power/gas inflation too, we're paying double we used to. A generic toaster bread used to be 50 eurocents for a loaf for almost all my life, but is now 2.20 . Almost nothing is less than 1 euro now. Of course, we could spend less on food if we wanted to because we're living quite lavishly and we're aware of that. But we don't need to cut back as of yet, we saved 11.000 euro's last year alone.
But we're lucky to be in the income bracket that has a lot of tax benefits and also IT has high salaries in my country so we're comfortably upper middle class. And because our mortgage is low, and we have little other costs we do really well on our income and have managed to save a decent sum every month so far.

Back
Top Bottom