Hushpuppies recipes and tips?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:48 PM
So I did a cursory search for hushpuppies and found mention of them but I don't see any recipes. I have bought them before premade and frozen, and they were okay, but not like the light, fluffy ones I remember eating with fish and shrimp when I was a kid. If anyone knows where a recipe lurks on this forum, please direct me to it. Or, if you have your own personal favorite recipe, could you please share? I have a box of Jiffy cornbread mix in my pantry and I have green onion growing in the garden. TIA!

I use this recipe for buttermilk hushpuppies and they come out great! They remind me of a fish place my family used to drive to, about 45 minutes from home in the Kentucky Lakes area that was only open during the summer. They had the best fried fish, hush puppies and coleslaw around, and were always packed. We always had to wait for a table, sometimes 30 minutes or more.

I do substitute buttermilk powder and just slightly shy 1 cup water for the buttermilk. You can find buttermilk powder where the powdered and canned milks are. If not, you can use buttermilk, portion out remainder and freeze for later use. The buttermilk powder keeps forever in the fridge though.

I use a scoop with a lever that holds just over 1 Tbsp to scoop the batter into the hot oil.

You don't need a mix to make cornbread, besides the fact it has other chemicals in for preservation. Just pick up some fine cornmeal, flour, baking soda and powder, plus some sugar if you like some sweetness. You grew up in North Florida right? If so, they probably had some sugar in them.

Oh, just let the 1 side set up when you drop in oil and then start turning until GBD. Otherwise, they will try to flip back over as the uncooked part will be heavier than the cooked part.

The recipe linked above has been added to this site with my modifications and tips. It can be found at buttermilk hushpuppies.

2019-10-29 18.10.16.jpg

Last edited:
Oh thank you so much! I have buttermilk on hand because I make from scratch buttermilk biscuits and I use it when I make my air fryer chicken.

The reason I bought the cornbread mix is because we hardly ever eat cornbread, but on my last grocery order I ordered 1 box just in case. It tends to go bad if you don't use it within a few years and I have been known to buy a box of the mix and then not use it before the baking soda went flat. I don't buy cornmeal because a bag cornmeal would probably take me 5 years or more to use up, and I think it would get stale by then unless I put it in an airtight container and froze it. Easier to just buy a small box of mix.

I haven't had hushpuppies in years but this morning I woke up thinking about them and I want them with our fish tonight. Your photo looks great!

It's not that I don't like it, it's just not a thing my husband is used to eating (Italians don't eat a lot of cornbread). Growing up it was a several times a week thing. And my grandmother from Texas made a sweet cornbread that was the best I have ever eaten.

Hubby does like hushpuppies, though, which they ate on vacation on the outer banks in North Carolina when he was a kid, so he has fond memories of it. But the frozen ones I bought were mediocre at best.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just not a thing my husband is used to eating (Italians don't eat a lot of cornbread). Growing up it was a several times a week thing. And my grandmother from Texas made a sweet cornbread that was the best I have ever eaten.

Hubby does like hushpuppies, though, which they ate on vacation on the outer banks in North Carolina when he was a kid, so he has fond memories of it. But the frozen ones I bought were mediocre at best.
I'm just teasing you, anyway. Hell, I won't eat grits! :)

You can find buttermilk powder where the powdered and canned milks are. If not, you can use buttermilk, portion out remainder and freeze for later use. The buttermilk powder keeps forever in the fridge though.
Fantastic tip! I buy buttermilk every so often for something or other, and I almost always end up throwing some out because I can't use it all. This seems like the prefect solution!

By the way, thanks for the excellent recipe!

Fantastic tip! I buy buttermilk every so often for something or other, and I almost always end up throwing some out because I can't use it all. This seems like the prefect solution!

By the way, thanks for the excellent recipe!
I am hoping that they have buttermilk powder around here. I did some grocery store merchandising prior to COVID-19 where we had to reset the baking aisle on more than one occasion, and I don't recall ever seeing it. But, I do know it freezes well, and since I use it for buttermilk pancakes and biscuits, I pretty much can use a quart of it with no worries. Additionally, it has a long shelf life (sometimes dated for 2 weeks or more later than when purchased) and keeps a little longer than the "best by" date on the bottle. If you keep it in the coldest part of your refrigerator you can use it for at least a week past the "best by" date.

I buy buttermilk every so often for something or other, and I almost always end up throwing some out because I can't use it all.
:eek:
That's twice on one page I've been shocked by something posted here.:)

Buttermilk uses:

Salad dressing
Waffles
Pancakes
Marinade
Bread
Drink it on its own
DIY creme fraiche
Slaw (ok, kind of like salad dressing)
Tangy sauce for macaroni-and-cheese
Biscuits
Cakes

I always have buttermilk in the house.

Drink it? Not me. But I don't even like regular milk for drinking.

:eek:
That's twice on one page I've been shocked by something posted here.:)
Just so we're clear, I don't make a recipe that uses 1 pint, and then throw away the rest of the quart when I'm done. It's more like this:
  1. Think of something I want to make with buttermilk (ranch dressing is my favorite, though I've also made buttermilk Caesar).
  2. Buy the smallest buttermilk carton that will do the job.
  3. Make the thing with the buttermilk.
  4. Someone accidentally pushes the buttermilk to the back of the shelf.
  5. I totally forget it's there.
  6. Three months later, I wonder what the terrible smell is coming from the back of the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom