I Hate Roasted Garlic

Jade

Veteran
Local time
10:03 PM
I tried doing a method I saw on TV once of roasting the garlic so I don't need to peel them. Basically, you cut the top of a whole bulb of garlic, then put it in the oven with some olive oil and/or salt then allow it to roast. As the garlic softens, you will be able to just squeeze the whole bulb out with ease.

I later found out that the taste was too muted after being roasted, though, and it didn't even taste that much like garlic anymore at all. It's certainly a lot different from the raw or even fried variety and I now definitely have a new found appreciation for garlic in its raw form.

What do you guys think of roasted garlic? Do you think I just did it wrong, like maybe I left it in the oven for too long? Are there any recipes you know of that would be much better if you used roasted garlic as opposed to raw or fried?

Perhaps it doesn't need to be roasted for too long, yes, although if it has to be completely soft then this might be a way of "peeling" the garlic that caters to people with sensitive palates that get overpowered by garlic.

I recall this recipe for garlic and onion soup that, of course, boils most of the flavor out of these two very strong-flavored bulbs...it's also a brothy bread soup, so it's very hearty.

Maybe this modified lemon juice recipe called "nature's flu shots" would benefit from overcooked garlic in its recipe, because it's supposed to be sweet: pineapple juice, lemon, lime, honey, cayenne pepper, and a garlic bulb. But then again maybe the curative aspect might not work as well as rawer garlic bulb (not necessarily very raw.)

Perhaps some pesto would benefit from garlic that's roasted in this way, so that the garlic bits don't compete with some delicate flavors such as pine nuts. Basil tends to bring a lift to it, but can be gentle enough.

But then again, my tongue has thrill issues. I don't mind diced raw garlic in pesto, I don't mind biting into a salted lemon wedge and chasing it down with vinegar.

There are some neat rubberized garlic peelers that can be much easier to use.

Roasted garlic is not really meant to be used in recipes where you would normally use fresh garlic. It is a dish in itself. You can spread the soft roasted garlic on toast or on a slice from a baguette.

Roasted garlic is not really meant to be used in recipes where you would normally use fresh garlic. It is a dish in itself. You can spread the soft roasted garlic on toast or on a slice from a baguette.

Or on some warm ciabatta with baked Brie. :D Oddly enough I made a post about this very dish earlier today. Nom. Nom. Nom...

Yes, it is better sliced or spread on something rather than have it in a recipe. It is a bit of an acquired taste but once you get the taste you can't get enough of it.

I love roasted garlic. It's absolute divine when spread on sourdough or French bread with a little bit of butter. I also like to eat it with grilled asparagus or any roasted vegetables.

I hate the taste of garlic. Roasted doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me. I still taste the bitterness that comes with garlic even if it's cooked and seasoned. However, garlic lis one of the healthiest things you can out into your body. Why is always the worst tasting foods that are best for your body? Anyway, I take garlic supplements which come in pill form, so i can get the health benefits of Garlic without having to endure the taste.

Oh my goodness. I love garlic! And, I haven't really encountered bitter-tasting garlic the way @Enimrac has. :(

I agree with those who mentioned that garlic should only be roasted as part of a recipe that requires it. If your concern is to not need to put so much effort peeling them, roasting may help in that aspect but, as you've experienced, the taste is affected. I'd say crushing cloves is the best way to peel them more easily.

smoked ,roasted or confit in its skin,love it, i will cut bulbs in half and char it for stocks,i use cooked garlic in high vinager marinades as raw has a habit of turning greeny blue

We all know that garlic is one of natures great healer that is why we used it always in our cooking and some food preparations at home. Be it fresh, fried or roasted garlic we love it no matter what it taste for we know the health benefits it will give to us.

My son doesn't like it roasted either, just personal taste. I could eat it with a spoon from the bulb like that.

I have never roasted garlic that way. When I roast garlic I am usually roasting something else and the garlic is with it. So the food tastes more like garlic. I have heard of that method though, never tried it. If you'd like a better way to peel it. Put it on it's "points" and have the flat size pointed at you. The use the flat of a knife and push it down until it hear a "crack." There will be a crack in the garlic, but the outside is easy to pull off.

I'm not a huge fan of roasted garlic but my boyfriend loves it and it is a popular appetizer (don't think that is the right word) when I have people over. I know when we have it we tend to spread the roasted garlic on a crusty piece of a baguette, sometimes we add hot peppers on top. My suggestion would be to experiment with the roasting time, perhaps a shorter time in the oven will help it retain the garlic flavor.

I enjoy garlic, in all preparations. But I will say though, with roasted garlic, too much of it is rather unpleasant to me. In addition to giving me horrible bad breath, I don't like to bite into a mouth full of it all at once. After a few bites it starts to take on a metallic taste that upsets my stomach and reminds me of vomit. A friend of mine tried to make a garlic pizza one time by spreading several roasted heads of garlic on pizza dough then topping with cheese and baking it, I could barely eat a slice because the garlic was way too overpowering.

My mom actually likes burnt garlic. You know how most cooks say that if you burn the garlic you need to start over, she does this on purpose when making pasta with garlic and olive oil. To each their own I suppose.

I tried doing a method I saw on TV once of roasting the garlic so I don't need to peel them. Basically, you cut the top of a whole bulb of garlic, then put it in the oven with some olive oil and/or salt then allow it to roast. As the garlic softens, you will be able to just squeeze the whole bulb out with ease.

I later found out that the taste was too muted after being roasted, though, and it didn't even taste that much like garlic anymore at all. It's certainly a lot different from the raw or even fried variety and I now definitely have a new found appreciation for garlic in its raw form.

What do you guys think of roasted garlic? Do you think I just did it wrong, like maybe I left it in the oven for too long? Are there any recipes you know of that would be much better if you used roasted garlic as opposed to raw or fried?
Well if you going for health reasons, they raw garlic is the way to go, but if your going for flavor that roasted garlic done the right way can give some good result. I like to eat it raw or lightly cooked.

Back
Top Bottom