I have made a change to my breakfast because

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
2:03 PM
For the working week my breakfast is a mug of tea and cereal, usually Special K or similar. I don't like chocolate nor anything 'sugary', weetabix and shredded wheat cause me to bloat and give me tummy ache so avoided.

Whilst on holiday I had very little bread and milk and felt fine. The last but 1 day I had a small box of K and milk, within a short time I started to feel bloated and uncomfortable, at 1 point a bit sick so when we got home I couldn't face cereal. Instead I had a banana and a fruit bar for breakfast every morning, no bloating, I don't feel lethargic nor grumpy mid-morning as I sometimes do, so I am thinking maybe the wheat in cereal doesn't agree with me. I won't say I am allergic or intolerant but it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence.

This week I will have a banana, yogurt and honey to see how things go, if still ok then yes maybe wheat and I are not going to be good friends, I have some in bread but maybe that should be enough. I am having yogurt for the calcium as I have very little in my diet and don't want to live on vitamins to suppliment my diet.

I know I have previously commented on bananas but I have managed to find some that are edible.

Your story is very interesting. There are plenty of folk who think they are gluten intolerant and supermarkets have made the most of it by having whole sections of gluten free foods. Gluten, of course, is contained in wheat. Very few people have a genuine intolerance - but the way I see it is, if you feel better then stick with it. You could try a rice based cereal with almond milk and see if that also makes you feel bloated. But if you are eating yoghurt then you are eating dairy anyway.

I suppose all you can do is experiment and see what happens. I love bread and can't imagine giving it up - breakfast cereal I could live without.

Your story is very interesting. There are plenty of folk who think they are gluten intolerant and supermarkets have made the most of it by having whole sections of gluten free foods. Gluten, of course, is contained in wheat. Very few people have a genuine intolerance - but the way I see it is, if you feel better then stick with it. You could try a rice based cereal with almond milk and see if that also makes you feel bloated. But if you are eating yoghurt then you are eating dairy anyway.

I suppose all you can do is experiment and see what happens. I love bread and can't imagine giving it up - breakfast cereal I could live without.

I can eat bread without issues which is why I won't claim to be wheat allergic or intolerant.

I can eat bread without issues which is why I won't claim to be wheat allergic or intolerant.

Oh, OK. Because you mentioned Special K which contains wheat I thought you meant that you thought it was the problem. Sometimes I think a change in diet can work really well and obviously the diet you were having on holiday suited you. What did you have for breakfast there?

It could be a yeast issue, but we are only stabbing in the dark here and it goes without saying that this is not medical advice. The sugar could be feeding yeast in your gut causing too much fermentation of the cereals and other additives in your cereal. Just a random though . Later in the day you would have more food in your gut so less of an issue to first thing in the morning. Yeast can build up overnight .
Can you eat toast for breakfast instead and see what the outcome is? No sugary toppings to the toast though! They could just add to the problem . That could be another day's experiment.

@morning glory it is also possible to be wheat intolerant without being gluten intolerant. I have a friend who is medically confirmed as fine with gluten from non-wheat sources just not wheat and is therefore wheat free not gluten free. It's a strange organism the human body !

Oh, OK. Because you mentioned Special K which contains wheat I thought you meant that you thought it was the problem. Sometimes I think a change in diet can work really well and obviously the diet you were having on holiday suited you. What did you have for breakfast there?

It could be a yeast issue, but we are only stabbing in the dark here and it goes without saying that this is not medical advice. The sugar could be feeding yeast in your gut causing too much fermentation of the cereals and other additives in your cereal. Just a random though . Later in the day you would have more food in your gut so less of an issue to first thing in the morning. Yeast can build up overnight .
Can you eat toast for breakfast instead and see what the outcome is? No sugary toppings to the toast though! They could just add to the problem . That could be another day's experiment.

@morning glory it is also possible to be wheat intolerant without being gluten intolerant. I have a friend who is medically confirmed as fine with gluten from non-wheat sources just not wheat and is therefore wheat free not gluten free. It's a strange organism the human body !

For breakfast whilst away I had, omelette, eggs benedict, fruit, yogurt, pastries, not all in 1 sitting I hasten to add. If I had bread then it was maybe a slice at lunch or in the evening so a huge reduction in bread consumption.

I can't always face toast in the morning which is why I am going down the fruit/yogurt route see how things go.

I was thinking you could test theory rather than have it every morning .that was all.

You could always try something like plain (or plain Greek ) yoghurt and porridge oats . I would soak the oats overnight in yoghurt (dairy free in my case ) then thin with (dairy free ) milk as needed. Flavour with fresh fruit as desired (or on tour jam ).

I do cheerios in the morning...they are made with oats...maybe switch grain and see if there is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom