Ice Cream - Your Favorite Flavor?

Karen W

Über Member
Local time
7:59 PM
I LOVE ice cream. It's Summertime here, and the weather is hot, hot, hot. All the more reason for a cold treat. :)
Today, on the News, I see it's National Mustard Day, and they're featuring mustard ice cream topped with crushed pretzles. Hmmm. The Gilroy Garlic Festival has garlic ice cream. Haven't tried it yet.

What's your favorite ice cream flavor? Chubby Hubby, Cherry Garcia...etc.?

I don't really care for ice cream much, I rarely eat it. However, I do like white chocolate Magnum bars, and I like dreamsicles (mix of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream), and those strawberry shortcake ice cream bars are ok.

We have two local festivals that feature weirdly-flavored ice creams; sauerkraut ice cream at the sauerkraut festival and black walnut ice cream at the black walnut festival. Don't confuse black walnuts with walnuts, the flavor is very different. Black walnuts are sour and overly musty tasting.

We do have quite a famous local ice cream chain - Graeter's. One of the last places in the US that uses the French pot method for making ice cream, and for a fairly large operation, all ice cream is done in very small batches, something like four-gallon pots. They use a lot of local things to make some unusual flavors.

I don't really care for ice cream much, I rarely eat it. However, I do like white chocolate Magnum bars, and I like dreamsicles (mix of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream), and those strawberry shortcake ice cream bars are ok.

We have two local festivals that feature weirdly-flavored ice creams; sauerkraut ice cream at the sauerkraut festival and black walnut ice cream at the black walnut festival. Don't confuse black walnuts with walnuts, the flavor is very different. Black walnuts are sour and overly musty tasting.

We do have quite a famous local ice cream chain - Graeter's. One of the last places in the US that uses the French pot method for making ice cream, and for a fairly large operation, all ice cream is done in very small batches, something like four-gallon pots. They use a lot of local things to make some unusual flavors.

There's an interesting place at the Mall where you can make/mix up your own flavors or add add-ins. They mix it up on a flat surface with smoke/nitrogen?

@Karen W - Cold Stone Creamery, maybe? We have a couple of those, and their gimmick is that they plop your ice cream out on a marble counter and then, using two small paddles, combine your choice of mix-ins by hand.

Frankly, the times I've seen it done, it looks a real mess and not something I'd want to eat. :)

I used to think vanilla ice cream was the worst flavor. Now I realize that this is because I was eating cut-rate vanilla ice cream.

When I started making my own, I realized just how mind-blowing vanilla ice cream can be if you split-and-scrape the vanilla bean yourself. I also love cinnamon ice cream (the kind I make). Here's a recipe for Cinnamon Espresso Ice Cream that I posted 2 years ago:

img_0848-jpg.jpg

Favourites... there's a wonderful vegan chocolate ice cream (5 ingredients) that's based on cashew nuts that is just heavenly (and has finally found it's way to Australia)

Häagen-Dazs used to do a choc choc chip. It wasn't anywhere near as sweet as Belgian Chocolate and the choc chips were a decent size. Sadly they stopped doing it long before my body stopped allowing me to eat dairy ice cream. It was heaven and I could and did often eat the entire tub in a sitting. If I was on my best behaviour I could make it last 2 sittings. It was a dessert spoon directly into the tub job. Usually after I had driven up to the Lake District with my little brother and sister in the car (they'd have been under 1 and under 3 years old) and they were in bed asleep. The fire would be lit in the sitting room and the aga coaxed into life in the kitchen. I'd pull up a chair in the kitchen, with my feet on another one, knees up and with a coffee close by hand, dig into the tub in glee, knowing it was just my brother, sister and I for the night. The calm before the storm (parents arriving with other brother and often grandmother in tow). All evidence would be gone before they arrived, the empty, clean container having been left in a public litter bin a short walk away (well about a mile and a half away, but then, before all of my back problems, that was a short walk).

Now, well other than the Booja Booja Chocolate ice cream, there's a nice almond milk salted caramel ice cream available here. Plus there's a decent raspberry sorbet by Häagen-Dazs. It's rather sweet mind you but...

But I've just read about some of the new flavours Booja Booja have introduced since we left the UK and I'm going to have to review all my choices when I very back to the UK in a few weeks time. The diet will be on hold for the duration.

Raspberry Ripple
Chocolate Salted Caramel
Hazelnut Chocolate Truffle
Caramel Pecan Praline (not as keen)

But I'll have to try the old favourites to compare:
Hunky Punky Chocolate
Keep Smiling Vanilla M'Gorilla

1 Pistachio
2) Butter Almond (which I can't seem to find anymore)
3) Strawberry

I much prefer Gelato, but there isn't any good stuff around here.

Is this basically butter pecan, but with almonds?

Now, how on earth can a talented home cook possibly remedy a situation where they can't find something they want commercially? :whistling:

Yes, basically butter pecan with almonds. Right now there isn't any room in one of the three freezers for the ice cream maker bowl.

Back
Top Bottom