Ideas for mains or side dishes with peanuts

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
2:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a bag of raw peanuts that I don't know how to use. I'd like to use them on a main or side dish, not on dessert, but I'm out of ideas. A lot of the recipes I'm finding seem to come from Chinese cuisine which I don't like. I hate soy sauce and don't love the taste of vinegar so anything with these two ingredients is out of the question. Any ideas?

Satay sauce is a common but tasty peanut-based dish. It does contain soy sauce (and sometimes fish sauce) but it (or they) can probably be left out as there's already a dash of sesame oil to bring deep flavor. I guess you could try miso paste, citrus zest, nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt (or pretty much any sauce you like) as a substitute for soy and fish sauce 🤔.

Last edited:
I agree with Hemulen - satay sauce is a great option. I sometimes make it a bit thinner and use it as a sauce for pasta or noodles.
Another dish you can make with it is Gado Gado - basically a cooked vegetable salad with peanut sauce. The version I use doesn´t have any soy sauce in it.
Then there a pile of recipes from West Africa (which I admit I´ve never tried) for Peanut Soup. This one looked good.

I agree with Hemulen - satay sauce is a great option. I sometimes make it a bit thinner and use it as a sauce for pasta or noodles.
Another dish you can make with it is Gado Gado - basically a cooked vegetable salad with peanut sauce. The version I use doesn´t have any soy sauce in it.
Then there a pile of recipes from West Africa (which I admit I´ve never tried) for Peanut Soup. This one looked good.
Ha-a, it's good to have professionals around. I've never heard of Gado Gado before. It seems scrumptious (like TR's Peanut Soup and other peanut soup recipes), so the original questioner, LissaC, should have many options to choose from. Me too :thumbsup:. Btw, I found a Finnish Gado Gado recipe here.

Thank you all for the suggestions :D I think I'll go with FowlersFreeTime idea and try them as a garnish on curry, but I'll use them raw to cut back on calories.

Although raw peanuts are considered safe to eat, they are not 100-percent safe. Here is a link that has some facts you may want to know.

Are Raw Peanuts Dangerous to Eat? | LoveToKnow

Considering my family's genetic history with liver cancer, I avoid raw peanuts.

CD

As a part of my family is from Indonesia, I have my own peanut sauce recipe. I posted it here before.

Recipe - My recipe for Indonesian peanut satay sauce

We use it for gado gado, satay, and much more. I post dishes with it frequently. I also like it to dip lumpia in or eat it with grilled chicken .

Pics of my Gado gado I have posted on here before.

Although raw peanuts are considered safe to eat, they are not 100-percent safe. Here is a link that has some facts you may want to know.

Are Raw Peanuts Dangerous to Eat? | LoveToKnow

Considering my family's genetic history with liver cancer, I avoid raw peanuts.

CD
Thank you, I didn't know that bit about peanuts being potentially dangerous. But I'm really struggling to find a recipe that speaks to me.

Back
Top Bottom