Ideas for prawns

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
12:37 AM
I am not overly keen on prawns myself, but since my daughter went pescatarian I now have a big bag of shelled and cooked prawns. I realise that this will be sacrilege to many of you on here as you will think I should by fresh prawns. However, they are really expensive and not easy to get hold of where I live. The thing is, other than a prawn cocktail, prawn sandwiches or prawn salad, I have no idea what to do with them! Can anyone inspire me?

Have you considered a seafood paella?
Any white sauce/fish sauce with prawns would work well with pasta and I can't see why they could not easily be served with things like jacket potatoes as well (though bare in mind I turned vegetarian at 11 and really haven't eaten meat or fish and such for 30 years!). I have also seen them served in omelette (in Norway), served with chips as well as the omelette (no prizes for guessing where!) and I think there are various Caribbean dishes (and Cuban) that feature fish in general quite heavily in soups and stews as well.

Even though they are already cooked, you could still throw them into some shrimp fried rice. Just toss them in at the very end to warm them through as the rest of the dish comes together in the pan.

Aside from the usual mayo based dressing for a seafood salad, I like to make shrimp sandwiches by simply tossing them in some cocktail sauce before assembling them into sandwiches on a roll with some lettuce and tomato and onion. It's much lighter too, but still has a lot of flavor.

Or instead of a classic Crab Rangoon, you could perhaps make shrimp rangoon instead?

Prawns is probably one of the most versatile seafood I've worked with. I like to use it in pasta (either red sauce or white sauce), as part of a stir fry in place of chicken, or in a cold salad mix or something. I recently made this shrimp/avocado/red onion/tomato salsa-like thing and it was SO good. I'm sure you can do the same thing with prawns :) Let me know if you'd like the recipe!

I keep it simple. I steam it in butter and diced garlic. I'm open to other suggestion as to how to spice it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom