Ideas for Pulses

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
5:47 PM
Pulses are usually really cheap, very nutritious and keep for a long time in the store cupboard. I definitely don't use them enough in my cooking. I make quite a nice dahl with lentil and I use pulses in soup, but generally I haven't got a lot of ideas for things to do with them. Can someone on here inspire me?

What sort of thing of things are you looking for. I use red lentils a lot, but there are loads of Indian meals that use all sorts of other pulses (urad dhal, mung dal, tor dal, masoor dal, kana dal (black chickpeas)) etc as well as various Moroccan dishes and Ethiopian dishes.

I also use puy lentils in various soups or stews to add bulk (puy lentils don't disintegrate like red lentils do) and have a mushroom pate that uses puy lentils as well.

What sort of thing of things are you looking for. I use red lentils a lot, but there are loads of Indian meals that use all sorts of other pulses (urad dhal, mung dal, tor dal, masoor dal, kana dal (black chickpeas)) etc as well as various Moroccan dishes and Ethiopian dishes.

I also use puy lentils in various soups or stews to add bulk (puy lentils don't disintegrate like red lentils do) and have a mushroom pate that uses puy lentils as well.

Any ideas at all really. I like spicy food, so I might look up some of these dishes and the pate sounds nice too. I have never tried puy lentils so I might give these a go. I like pulses in general and they are such a cheap ingredient that it seems silly not to use them more.

I sometimes make a traditional Middle Eastern dish with rice and lentils cooked together, and served hot with fried onions mixed in.

Recently I bought a packet of split green peas and I've been using them in Indian curries.

Back
Top Bottom