If you could steal part of a historic building

304 S. Broadway Los Angeles sits the Bradbury Building. Built in 1893 has a wonderful Victorian interior.

Strange as it seems the Elevator Hoist motors are mostly brass and the size of a Volkswagen. At only 40 HP an electric motor that size built today would be 800 HP.

The polished brass with the glass and brass McCoy chicken feeder oilers look so fantastic.
A man would be proud to have that in place of his dining room table. The wife probably not I’d wager.

Every now and then they rewind and rebuild the motors to keep it all original.

I saw a doco of London bridge and its workings, counter balanced bridge that opens on demand. I'd like a bit of the bridge!!
Sounds like you're referring to Tower Bridge rather than London Bridge ;-) I agree its quite a feat of engineering.

This is London Bridge:
illuminated_riverlondon_bridge_02-_-james_newton.jpg

An interesting fact about London Bridge is that it has been replaced multiple times over the years. The current one dates from the 1960s, and the previous one was carefully dismantled and sold off - its now in Lake Havasu City.

304 S. Broadway Los Angeles sits the Bradbury Building. Built in 1893 has a wonderful Victorian interior.

Strange as it seems the Elevator Hoist motors are mostly brass and the size of a Volkswagen. At only 40 HP an electric motor that size built today would be 800 HP.

The polished brass with the glass and brass McCoy chicken feeder oilers look so fantastic.
A man would be proud to have that in place of his dining room table. The wife probably not I’d wager.

Every now and then they rewind and rebuild the motors to keep it all original.

No chance to see a photo?

If I'm going to steal a part of a historic building, I'm going to steal the whole thing. I think at the spur of the moment, I want Newgrange, from Ireland. But I will note it might be too intimidating in the yard...

Newgrange.jpg

(By spudmurphy - Flickr.com, CC BY-SA 2.0, File:Newgrange, Meath.jpg - Wikimedia Commons)

Or, maybe, perhaps even better, the Callendish stones, arranged properly. This one, yes, a GO. Located on the Isle of Lewis, Hebrides, Scotland.

Callanish_standing_stones_1.jpg

(Marta Gutowska, CC by 2.5)

Sounds like you're referring to Tower Bridge rather than London Bridge ;-) I agree its quite a feat of engineering.

This is London Bridge:
View attachment 33825

An interesting fact about London Bridge is that it has been replaced multiple times over the years. The current one dates from the 1960s, and the previous one was carefully dismantled and sold off - its now in Lake Havasu City.

I could be wrong, but wasn't this tower named the Shard? It looks almost like the NWTC, but much more narrower at the top. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom