If you don't ask...

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
1:32 AM
We went to a lovely pub for lunch today. We went there last year because they have a little shop attached where they sell pies and pasties etc, all handmade by a local lady, we had one each for lunch last time we went and were delighted by them. So we went back today to buy some for dinner this evening only to discover the shop was closed until later in the month, ah well, never mind, we still wanted lunch.
When we ordered my husband mentioned we were looking to buy but the shop was closed, did the pub have any we could buy? Yes no problem, I will put 2 aside for you. Dinner tonight has been saved :thumbsup:

It just goes to show, if you dont ask....

Said pie

P_20190112_173257.jpg

Looks very good - and I agree 'if you don't ask'.

I've dined in Michelin starred restaurants (the lunch deals usually around £20 or so for 3 courses - I'm not rich!) and managed to chat to the Chef afterwards to ask how certain elements of the dishes were made. They aren't in the least secretive about their cooking and most love to chat to you about it. Not long ago I had pork in a Michelin restaurant and got the detailed cooking method from Chef Tim Allen.

I'm never shy to ask. :happy:

Looks very good - and I agree 'if you don't ask'.

I've dined in Michelin starred restaurants (the lunch deals usually around £20 or so for 3 courses - I'm not rich!) and managed to chat to the Chef afterwards to ask how certain elements of the dishes were made. They aren't in the least secretive about their cooking and most love to chat to you about it. Not long ago I had pork in a Michelin restaurant and got the detailed cooking method from Chef Tim Allen.

I'm never shy to ask. :happy:

They are good and you know they are handmade because the pastry is completely different in taste and texture, they are not a perfect shape and they are filled to the top with chunks of meat :thumbsup:

They are good and you know they are handmade because the pastry is completely different in taste and texture, they are not a perfect shape and they are filled to the top with chunks of meat :thumbsup:

I too am never afraid to ask. Last year we had southern fried chicken at the Moutere inn up Nelson way. We went back 2 times it was that good. While there I signed up for their mailing list. The first e mail I got I replied and asked the chef if he could give me his recipe. I got an e mail back about 2 weeks later. He gave me list of herbs but not quantities exactly. He put me on to a you tube vid of dredging buttermilk chicken. I've made it twice. Nearly have the recipe the way I want it. I've always been cheeky and ask for stuff or info. You don't ask, you don't get,lol.
Or as my grandkids say... You get what you get, and you don't get upset.lol.

Russ

I like to think I'm pretty good at figuring out what ingredients are used when dining out. But, if something is exceptionally good, I do ask. This is how I learned that Chef Michael Symon uses a blend of 60% chuck, 30% sirloin, and 10% brisket in his burgers. As others have mentioned, there aren't many secrets in restaurants.

The exception seems to be when it comes to fried chicken and barbecue sauce in individually-owned (non-chain) restaurants, at least in the Southern States. It's just about expected that you'll be told that it's a "secret recipe". I haven't found that to be the case with too many other things.

I like to think I'm pretty good at figuring out what ingredients are used when dining out. But, if something is exceptionally good, I do ask. This is how I learned that Chef Michael Symon uses a blend of 60% chuck, 30% sirloin, and 10% brisket in his burgers. As others have mentioned, there aren't many secrets in restaurants.

The exception seems to be when it comes to fried chicken and barbecue sauce in individually-owned (non-chain) restaurants, at least in the Southern States. It's just about expected that you'll be told that it's a "secret recipe". I haven't found that to be the case with too many other things.

Yeah I'm pretty good at working out what's in something. That's how I've perfected some of my sauces and recipes.
But I'm not too frightened to ask just to double check.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom