I'm tired of ground turkey!

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
12:03 PM
I used to buy 96% fat free ground beef, but it is now $7.00 a pound! I can't afford it, even though I would like to eat it for my health. I have resorted to buying ground turkey rolls that are 85% fat free, but a third of the cost. We use them in all things that we use to use the hamburger for. The number one thing I dislike about it, is the texture. It's too soft. There are also stringy pieces off at in it, like gristle, that I pull out. I am hoping with gas prices so low, meat will start coming down a little and I can go back to the beef. What is your preference? What do you buy?

I bought 3 20lb rolls of hamburger when it was advertised at our local market for $1.99 lb. I literally about fell out of my seat with it being that low because its usually $4-$5 a pound. I bagged the rolls into 1lb bags to put in my freezer. I'm set until at least Feburary.

With all my meats, I shop around until I find the cheapest price. I then price match to one store.

I try not to eat high fat food. I didn't realize until recently how fatty the ground turkey I was buying real is. It is 17 grams of fat per four ounce serving! I happened to be in the store when the discounted meat went on sale (a day or two before it's expiration), and was able to get lean, 3 grams of fat turkey for $3.50. I still prefer ground beef, in flavor and texture, but at that low of fat, I would have been paying a lot more than what the discount was offering. I bought all the packages they had.

Back
Top Bottom