I'm Watching What I Eat (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic for reference:
20230319_163244.jpg

I bought this corset belt last month. It's already a little wide.
Pic of my face yesterday:
FB_IMG_1681279756017.jpg

Pic I only now dare post of 3 years ago:
FB_IMG_1681279651855.jpg

Last edited:
I joined Weight Watchers in March of 2018. I thought it was nonsense to assign point values to food: there was no accounting for calories. For example, a 54 calorie mini candy bar is 3 points, but a 95 calorie banana is 0 points. I have 23 points allowed during the day, with an extra 42 per week that I can distribute however I want, so it's really 29 points a day. In other words, I can have 10 mini candy bars and exceed my point total, or eat an unlimited number of bananas.

It didn't make sense, but I followed it. The first week, I lost 5 pounds. The second week, I lost 3 pounds. Over the course of a few months, I lost 25 pounds. This is weight I've been working out obsessively to burn away, but nothing worked before. I'm down to my high school weight now.

It occurred to me that the point values are assigned to steer your behavior. You're encouraged to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, and you're discouraged from eating candies, by the way the points are assigned. And, 5 years later, I've kept the weight off, though there are the occasional bumps of a few pounds.

The food I've shared on this forum is all stuff that I've made. I've stopped putting reduced calorie ingredients like light butter in recipes, even though it's what I'm using, because the recipe is the same. Having a dietary framework hasn't stopped me from enjoying the food I eat. The biggest issues are when I go out to eat, but you can still do this if you watch what you eat the rest of the time, and if you exercise.

I used to go to my company's fitness center pre-COVID; I've instead been making my dogs happy by taking them for walks just about every day of the year. The more active you are, the more your metabolism increases:

How to Boost Your Metabolism With Exercise

I really think this is more important than it is to stick to a diet, but the point isn't which factor is more important. The point is that if I do them together, good things happen. Getting started with exercise is the hardest thing, but it gets easier with time.

Even without doing WW I think it's a good program. It's reasonable, even if it's weird in case of calories to points but the best part is doing it together and encouraging each other to stop living with bad habits.

In terms of dietary there are more tipps and in depth knowledge, but most people will be bored trying them.

In my opinion a healthy lifestyle consists of good social network, enough activity, a mixed organic diet and realistic mindset

What is her weight now? My daughter is also losing weight using intermittent fasting (an average of 2 pounds a week).
She currently weighs 187 pounds/85 kg/13 stone, and she’s just a hair under six feet. She’s…statuesque.

When we met way back in 1988, I think she weighed around 140 pounds, and except for her inherited tree trunk thighs and hips (what her dirty-old-man neighbor once referred to as “baby-makin’ hips” ), she appeared fairly tidy at that weight, she’s got the height to pull it off.

When she had her stroke in 2013, she weighed about 190 pounds, due to the triple threat of good food, no exercise, and gain-inducing medication.

A result of her stroke, she dropped down to 160 pounds, but she didn’t keep it off and wasn’t really motivated to until last year.

Her personal goal is 170 pounds, which I think will happen right about the time we go on our Mediterranean cruise in the Autumn… 🥐🧇🥩🍔🍕🫕🍰🍦🍩🍺🥂🍷🥃:wink:

I've stopped dieting right now ( as in trying to lose more) however I am still restricting my calories so I am remaining stable at the weight I am on which is still 60 lbs lower than last year.
The reason is that I am currently doing a medical recovery program including fitness, physiotherapy etc. If I lower my calories now, as I have tried for a while, I am constantly hungry which may trigger my dormant binge eating disorder. Which is not what I want!
Once this program is over I might try again. Right now building muscle back is also important.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally picked up the courage to weigh myself again this morning. I have not been dieting because it doesn't help recovery from major surgery. In fact I've had to eat much more than normal (and still have to for a while yet, with a higher protein intake than normal as well)... so I was pleased to see that I'd gained less than 2kg (4lb) in weight.

I'm going to try to hold it constant for a while now before I'm fully recovered. Once I've recovered (I'm still only 5 weeks post op) I'll go back to my weightloss program but I distort that will be a couple of months away yet.

MrsT was up two pounds this week, so it’s not a happy house right now.

We’d had afternoon tea, family cookout, and Chinese food over two meals, so a lot more food than she’s used to, plus a lot less salad/fresh fruit & vegetables, and all that had the double-whammy of clogging the pipes, so to speak, so it’s no wonder she’s weighed up a bit.

Hopefully, after less restaurant food and more salads in the coming week, she’ll be back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom