IMHO. the undisputed king of sauces. XO sauce!!

bburned

Local time
11:32 PM
you hear pro-chefs speak poetically of umami... yea. we all know now.

I thought I knew it all. but this weekend I was at an Asian Grocery store. I needed XO sauce. I picked up some small oily jars...$6.99. they looked bleak. there were $27 dollar jars but they were hidden in cardboard sleeves. total mystery box. I put it all back. I didnt have that warm fuzzy feeling about buying mystery XO sauce. so naturally I came home and googled it. I decided to make it myself. I have dried scallops and dried shrimp. mine are good ones, so I went to the store to buy cheaper dried shrimp and the rest of the fresh incredients. basically some red pepper, and shallots. I own a lot of dried scallops.

I just half heartedly listened in on a work WebEX meeting and made my sauce. I just went with it. I could only find a red bell pepper, and I added a tiny sliver of red Thai chilis..and I just did what felt natural. I read a bunch of recipes and they were all over the map. I figured I could do no wrong.

I am done. I tasted it and now I truly understand umami. it is the biggest in yo face, slap yourself silly umami. I poorly prepared and had to scramble to find random empty jars. hahah..
woksauce.jpg
jarsauce.jpg

but BADUSH!!! my first XO sauce. (and we never forget our first). XO sauce is a Hong Kong condiment invented in the 1980's and it was aptly named because all the ingredients are expensive. like the fancy cognac.

Oh my! Are you going to tell us the precise ingredients and how to make it? Well, maybe that is now your closely guarded secret! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom