In Japan, each and every item wrapped in plastic is the norm. What about where you are?

madebyyouandi

Local time
2:39 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
In Japan this is a normal grocery shopping experience: Each and every item is wrapped in plastic. What's the plastic situation in your grocery stores and supermarkets?

(I'm not trying to bash any country [or state], I'm just curious how environmentalism has impacted every day things.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In Japan this is a normal grocery shopping experience: Each and every item is wrapped in plastic. What's the plastic situation in your grocery stores and supermarkets?

(I'm not trying to bash any country [or state], I'm just curious how environmentalism has impacted every day things.)
Here, it depends. Broccoli heads/crowns are available loose and wrapped, cauliflower and iceberg lettuce are always wrapped, a lot of leaf lettuces are unwrapped, but you can also get them cut and washed and those will be in a plastic container.

It just depends on what you're buying.

When I buy produce, it is on the shelves unwrapped, but I always plastic baggie it when purchased. The plastic bags keep things from exposure to dirt and contaminants from that point on and at home, if the produce begins to rot, the plastic bags catch the nasty stuff and make it easy to toss out the spoiled produce.

Some things are bagged, some are not. Partially depends on the particular store. I tend to self bag items typically served raw, unless like, say avocados or lemons, they come with a rind I am not planning on eating. (Yes, I may zest citrus, but it gets washed first, zested, and then cooked.)

Most of the produce I buy is not wrapped. Iceberg lettuce kind of has to be wrapped, or it will peel apart.

I don't typically put my produce in the plastic bags that are readily available. I put the items in my cart, scan them at checkout, and put them right into my reusable grocery bags. I try not to use any more plastic than I need to. I don't even keep bottled water at home -- I have chilled filtered water dispensed from my fridge. If I get thirsty away from home, I don't have much choice but bottled water.

CD

We banned plastic carry out bags a few years ago, we have mesh cotton ones we take into stores pick and in trolley, pay and put into bags and take to car. Individual thinks like 1/4 pumpkin etc are wrapped. Whole aren't.
We are conscience of the environment, without being greenies.

Russ

The EU has banned single use plastic bags, instead multiple use plastic bags are sold at checkout (they're even worse imo) but more people take their own cotton and other environmentally sustainable bags to a store since this change was implemented. Also most vegetables and fruit in stores are not wrapped in plastic any longer.
I personally carry a cotton shopper everywhere I go.

Y'all need to go see enrish.com it has some funny entries. It hs all kinds of products ad how they are labelled. For example "Batard (bread) Burnt to a crisp with all our might".

T

Y'all need to go see enrish.com it has some funny entries. It hs all kinds of products ad how they are labelled. For example "Batard (bread) Burnt to a crisp with all our might".

T
Oh, I live the real "Enrish". One of my favorite moments was going into a bakery to see they were selling "cow pies". I laughed and started to take photos and the staff asked me why... The next day they renamed "meat pies". :)

Here the produce is loose, and you can put it in a small plastic bag if you want to. I used reusable fabric bags which are made of fine mesh so they don't interfere much with the weight of the produce, instead of using the disposable plastic bags the supermarket offers.

Windigo plastic bags are also sold at checkout on the supermarkets, they used to be free, many years ago. I spent a lifetime collecting them when they were free, so now these are the bags I use. I also have a really old fashioned shopping trolley that I sometimes use :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom