In the test kitchen: Chocolate Cheesecake

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:42 PM

I promised to try this recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake posted by @Cinisajoy. The main problem for me is that, not only do I not like chocolate, I don't like desserts either. But of course, other people do! So I must make efforts. :D

I followed the recipe pretty well to the letter, except that I used crushed chocolate filled Oreos for the base rather than the chocolate wafers* in the original recipe. I found I had to scale up the biscuit crumb from 1 cup to nearly three cups to cover the 9inch base. The recipe specified semi sweet chocolate. I used 70% chocolate which I assumed to be equivalent.

I found it cooked in rather less time than the 40-45 mins specified in the recipe, but ovens vary. You need to take it out of the oven whilst still a bit wobbly in the middle. Patience is required, as you need to rest it and then cool in the fridge before putting on the topping. I topped it with sieved cocoa powder and milk chocolate shavings.

Tasting notes: I confess I didn't taste the result - but my son and daughter have. My son didn't like the base which he found 'bitter'. I hadn't told him I used Oreos - but when I did tell him, he said he had never liked Oreos because they tasted bitter! So at least it wasn't my cooking. My daughter absolutely loved everything about it, though!

Overall verdict: A very rich and luxurious cheesecake. Not very difficult to make, although you really do need a springform pan.

* N.B. US chocolate wafers are not the same as UK chocolate wafer biscuits.

DSCF2987.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good but I am not a fan of any chocolate desserts.

If I have dessert then it would be something lemon, a light tart perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom