In the Test kitchen: @yorky's Hot Butter Chicken

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:47 PM
I had a lot of fun making this yesterday from @Yorky's recipe Hot Butter Chicken. Here is how it turned out:

IMGP1375.jpg

Photographed yesterday in daylight

I followed the recipe pretty well to the letter except that I substituted a tin of crushed tomatoes for the fresh tomatoes and rather than sieving them I blitzed them with a stick blender. I also sprinkled some kalonji seeds over the finished dish, as much for appearance as anything else. I also added a teaspoon of cornstarch (dissolved to a paste in water) to the yoghurt to stabilise it and prevent splitting. @Yorky had warned me that this could be a problem.

The verdict
Although the title says ‘Hot’, I didn’t find the dish to be very hot. The heat is tempered by the yoghurt (or cream if you use that). But obviously it will depend on the strength of your dried chilli. I used small dried chillies which I regard as quite hot. But they are rather tiny chillies so perhaps I should have used more.

I found the recipe slightly complicated to make but that is probably because I’m used to making curries in one pan and this recipes calls for two. I’m not sure what would happen if the tomatoes were added directly to the chicken rather than being cooked separately at first. I may experiment with when I make the dish next time!

The final stage when the yoghurt is added is wonderful because the fat from the butter starts to rise to the surface (exactly as it should ), giving the dish its appetising appearance.

This is a great recipe and I will most certainly be making it again. Thankyou @Yorky!

IMGP1377.jpg

IMGP1375.jpg

Last edited:
The verdict
Although the title says ‘Hot’, I didn’t find the dish to be very hot. The heat is tempered by the yoghurt (or cream if you use that). But obviously it will depend on the strength of your dried chilli. I used small dried chillies which I regard as quite hot. But they are rather tiny chillies so perhaps I should have used more.

I found the recipe slightly complicated to make but that is probably because I’m used to making curries in one pan and this recipes calls for two. I’m not sure what would happen if the tomatoes were added directly to the chicken rather than being cooked separately at first. I may experiment with when I make the dish next time!

The final stage when the yoghurt is added is wonderful because the fat from the butter starts to rise to the surface (exactly as it should ), giving the dish its appetising appearance.

This is a great recipe and I will most certainly be making it again. Thankyou.

It may have been the dried chilies. Mine are about 50 - 75 mm long viz:

driedchili.jpg

However, the main "hotness" comes from the chili powder/cayenne pepper added to the tomatoes (1 - 2 teaspoons - mine are heaped).

Very pleased that you liked it.

Yes. I reckon its the chillies as mine are rather titchy:

Photo on 11-10-2016 at 17.44.jpg

.... also I didn't put heaped tsps of cayenne as I was slavishly following the recipe! :D

If you ever get to try my Bratfud Bangla, you will need a shovel full of those!

Reference the tomatoes, I have now resorted to tinned plum tomatoes and liquidise them in a blender (prior to 'cooking'). I don't bother sieving them anymore either, just fish out the cinnamon and pour them in.

If I haven't said this before, portions will keep in the fridge for a few days. However, re-heating in a microwave will cause the butter to separate so it needs to be re-heated on the stove top stirring constantly.

Reference the tomatoes, I have now resorted to tinned plum tomatoes and liquidise them in a blender (prior to 'cooking'). I don't bother sieving them anymore either, just fish out the cinnamon and pour them in.

If I haven't said this before, portions will keep in the fridge for a few days. However, re-heating in a microwave will cause the butter to separate so it needs to be re-heated on the stove top stirring constantly.
Thats what I did regarding the tomatoes. Its only worth using fresh if you have top quality. I reheated some of the curry yesterday on the stove and it turned out fine!

Back
Top Bottom