Induction Cooktop???

mclmcecclmc

Local time
10:03 AM
I am in need of a new cooktop/oven. Presently using gas but I am considering a change. I think I have talked myself into an electric oven but I'm still unsure whether to stick with gas for the cooktop or take the plunge and try induction (not traditional electric). I've ruled out traditional electric cooktops. Does anyone have opinions or insight regarding an all gas cooktop & oven, a dual fuel gas cooktop/electric oven, or induction cooktop/electric oven?

Welcome. Not sure what East Coast you are from, but I'll assume possibly USA since you wrote "cooktop."

Good choice on switching to an electric oven. More even heating, from my experience.

As for a cooktop, if you do switch to electric, go with Induction for sure. It will work very much like the gas cooktop you are used to.

I don't have a gas line to my current kitchen -- bad decision on my part when I had the house built. I really want an induction cooktop, and the prices are slowly coming down. My previous home had a gas cooktop, and an electric oven. I loved it! But, I have heard that Induction is just as "reactive" as gas when you want to adjust cooking temperature.

CD

I currently have a gas hob and I'd change it for an induction one tomorrow if I could afford it!

Gas is much better than the old electric hobs (much more controllable), but induction is even better. Plus its much easier to keep clean :okay: You just need to make sure your pans will work on it, otherwise you'll have to buy a new set of pans too.

Welcome. Not sure what East Coast you are from, but I'll assume possibly USA since you wrote "cooktop."

Good choice on switching to an electric oven. More even heating, from my experience.

As for a cooktop, if you do switch to electric, go with Induction for sure. It will work very much like the gas cooktop you are used to.

I don't have a gas line to my current kitchen -- bad decision on my part when I had the house built. I really want an induction cooktop, and the prices are slowly coming down. My previous home had a gas cooktop, and an electric oven. I loved it! But, I have heard that Induction is just as "reactive" as gas when you want to adjust cooking temperature.

CD

You can always buy a couple of induction burners. We have 2 and during the summer they sit on the stovetop and we use them, as they don't put out as much heat. We originally bought 1 to use at the table for fondue, then bought a second. They sure are nice to have after a hurricane to use with a genny to cook with also.

Oh, and just an FYI, the OP posted a similar question on another forum and never went back to read any of the replies, so...

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE my induction cooktop. Yes, you do need to have pots and pans that are steel or iron as a core, but it is a wonderful thing to have.

I've used regular electric all my life, and gas over at my brother's. I think overall the induction beats both out. The only thing that I can't do is toast peppers over the stovetop, or toast tortillas that way. (But I do have a grill outside... and it's not something I'm prone to want to do often, anyway.) I also feel safer.

When I tested my pots and pans prior to moving here (with a magnet), I was surprised to find out how many things I could actually bring along and use on the stovetop. The one skillet does take forever to warm up, but that's the anomaly in the crowd.

If you use cast iron, and are worried about scratching - place a sheet of parchment paper between the cooktop and the skillet.

Thanks for this topic. I'd never even considered an induction cooktop before, and have always made do with regular electric (which I hate), and have been trying for years to convince the wife that I need a gas line run for a gas cooktop, but now I think my next one will be an induction one.

Last edited:
You can always buy a couple of induction burners. We have 2 and during the summer they sit on the stovetop and we use them, as they don't put out as much heat. We originally bought 1 to use at the table for fondue, then bought a second. They sure are nice to have after a hurricane to use with a genny to cook with also.

Oh, and just an FYI, the OP posted a similar question on another forum and never went back to read any of the replies, so...

Yeah, I saw the other forum post, and got confused. I think my answer over there made no sense, since I thought I was posting here. :scratchhead:

CD

Thanks for this topic. I'd never even considered an induction cooktop before, and have always made due with regular electric (which I hate), and have been trying for years to convince the wife that I need a gas line run for a gas cooktop, but now I think my next one will be an induction one.

The cost of running a gas line to my kitchen now would be way too expensive. So, I'm saving my pennies for an induction cooktop.

Right now, I'm worried about my 26-year-old refrigerator/freezer. I've replaced the ice-maker twice, and have done some other DIY repairs requiring some amount of duct tape and JB Weld.

CD

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw the other forum post, and got confused. I think my answer over there made no sense, since I thought I was posting here. :scratchhead:

CD

I was actually just letting everyone know that the OP never bothered to come back and read replies. I hate that.

ETA: OP finally came back to the other forum and replied.

Your post did make sense. When we were looking at new stoves, I floated the idea of doing some cabinetry work to Craig so we could have a cooktop and separate oven(s), but got shot down real quick. Would have loved to get an induction range, but it was a bit out of budget and our oven totally quit working, so couldn't wait anymore. We could have gotten the oven(s) and waited on the cooktop, but he didn't want to mess with the cabinets.

Last edited:

CD

Which thread are you referring to... I'm now confused. All caseydog 's replies have been in this thread as far as I can see.

A different web site/forum that all 3 of us belong to, all 4 of us including the OP.

Which thread are you referring to... I'm now confused. All caseydog 's replies have been in this thread as far as I can see.

Sorry, medtran, Craig and I also belong to another cooking forum. A few other people here do, too. The OP on this tread posted the same topic on the other forum. I got them confused, and made references to a post I made here, but thought I made there.

Clear as mud?

CD

Don't know who is where, but since I"m here, I'm happy to continue to note I'm happy with induction.

I can see there are pros and there are cons, but if one has appropriate cookware, (and is willing to use parchment paper under cast iron - to eliminate glass-scratching from the cast iron implements), I'm still giving my vote to Induction.

Recently, I even learned there is a way to use an an under-heat source to provide a true wok a base to cook on, with induction. This is something I'm planning on investigating, and (hopefully) purchasing. Since I LOVE Asian cooking.

We got a flat bottomed (maybe 6 inch circle) carbon steel wok and it does great on the induction burners.

Back
Top Bottom