Induction Hob - Rectangular Cast Iron Griddle and Stir-fry Wok Recommendations

EOTBuk

Local time
4:11 PM
Hello All,

We have recently installed an induction hob (from a 5 burner gas). We have found that although we have a flat-bottomed wok and it does heat up very quickly because it is only heating the bottom area, we have found it takes longer to cook as the sides do not get any heat. Does anyone have ideas on what to replace it with for better heating?

Also, we already have a large rectangular cast iron grill which works great on the induction hob when you "join" the two heating areas. I would like to get a similar sized one but a Griddle (eg a totally flat cooking surface). I do not want a non-stick but prefer a cast iron - our existing grill has been seasoned well and nothing sticks to it now. The only one I have found is the "Cast Iron Rectangular Griddle" from Le Creuset. There are several double-sided griddle/grill types available but have been advised these do not work well on inductions as due to the lip, it's raised above the hob and therefore doesn't work well (and someone said it could damage the hob - but am sceptical about this claim!) . Has anyone got any recommendations?

BTW, loving the hob otherwise! Easy to clean, the kitchen doesn't get as hot and the pans heat up quickly. Why didn't we make the move before?!?!?

Thanks for any help/advice

Hi EOTBuk, welcome to CookingBites :welcome:
I also changed from a 5 burner gas hob to induction - I love it and wish I'd done it years ago!

We have found that although we have a flat-bottomed wok and it does heat up very quickly because it is only heating the bottom area, we have found it takes longer to cook as the sides do not get any heat. Does anyone have ideas on what to replace it with for better heating?

Pretty much all my cookware is from this range: GreenPan Venice Professional Extra Non-Stick Cookware at John Lewis & Partners including the wok. I have to admit that I've only used the wok a couple of times since changing, but I haven't noticed it not getting get hot. I find all my pans get hotter much more quickly on induction than they did on gas. What wok do you have?

Also, we already have a large rectangular cast iron grill which works great on the induction hob when you "join" the two heating areas. I would like to get a similar sized one but a Griddle (eg a totally flat cooking surface). I do not want a non-stick but prefer a cast iron - our existing grill has been seasoned well and nothing sticks to it now. The only one I have found is the "Cast Iron Rectangular Griddle" from Le Creuset. There are several double-sided griddle/grill types available but have been advised these do not work well on inductions as due to the lip, it's raised above the hob and therefore doesn't work well (and someone said it could damage the hob - but am sceptical about this claim!) . Has anyone got any recommendations?
Sorry I can't help on this one - I haven't looked into it much yet, but its something that I'm considering getting eventually too. In my (brief) online search I've also noticed that a lot of the reversible ones have a lip around the edge so aren't ideal for induction - you really do need a flat bottomed one. Actually, thinking about it, I don't think a reversible one is ever going to work on induction for using the flat side.....because the side in contact with the hob will always be the ribbed grill side (which obviously isn't flat).

For now I have a 9" cast iron skillet from Ooni which works great, but its obviously much smaller than what you're looking for.

Hi MrsDangerMouse
Thanks for the welcome :)

The wok we have is just a bog-standard steel one - we have had it for years. I think it was from Sainsbury's or something so no make as such - thin steel all round - was perfect on the gas hob, but I guess I need something with a bit of heat Distribution - if it exists.

Yea on the griddle. I think I might just have to go with the Le Creuset if I want one. I am sure google would have shown others if there were any. Just £90 is a tad on the costly side.

Thank you :)

Adam.

Welcome from Texas. A traditional round-bottom wok is not going to work on an induction cooktop (hob). Induction cooking depends on direct surface contact to work, and you can't get that with a round bottom pan. A stir fry pan, which has a salt bottom and curved sides would probably work.

CD

Hi MrsDangerMouse
Thanks for the welcome :)

The wok we have is just a bog-standard steel one - we have had it for years. I think it was from Sainsbury's or something so no make as such - thin steel all round - was perfect on the gas hob, but I guess I need something with a bit of heat Distribution - if it exists.

Yea on the griddle. I think I might just have to go with the Le Creuset if I want one. I am sure google would have shown others if there were any. Just £90 is a tad on the costly side.

Thank you :)

Adam.

Re the woks, ProCook, a company I've often used, have a whole selection suitable for induction hobs. They are quite reasonably priced.

Browse our selection of superior quality woks which are great for induction cooking

They also have this cast iron griddle suitable for induction. ProCook Cast Iron Griddle 24x36cm

1616239646651.png

Welcome from Texas. A traditional round-bottom wok is not going to work on an induction cooktop (hob). Induction cooking depends on direct surface contact to work, and you can't get that with a round bottom pan. A stir fry pan, which has a salt bottom and curved sides would probably work.

CD
Hello! :) Yeah - sorry we do have a flat bottomed wok rather than a round-bottom one. I think it will just be something we need to get used to. It still cooks the food but just takes a bit longer. Our gas hob had a central wok ring so the heat went up the sides a bit which just helped cooked the food more evenly.

Re the woks, ProCook, a company I've often used, have a whole selection suitable for induction hobs. They are quite reasonably priced.

Browse our selection of superior quality woks which are great for induction cooking

They also have this cast iron griddle suitable for induction. ProCook Cast Iron Griddle 24x36cm

View attachment 59502

We have in fact bought some saucepans from ProCook as our existing non-stick ones were getting too worn. We have opted to not have a non-stick this time so hopefully, they will last longer.

I did see the grill pan in ProCook - as you pictured. We already a cast-iron one similar to this, but we wanted one that was totally flat - looking around it is called a Griddle. I have just decided to buy the Le Creuset one https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en_GB/p/cast-iron-rectangular-griddle/CI0203.html as I could find any other places so hopefully, this will be all good :)

I will look at their woks to see if they are any different to our one.

THanks for all your helps guys :)

Hello! :) Yeah - sorry we do have a flat bottomed wok rather than a round-bottom one. I think it will just be something we need to get used to. It still cooks the food but just takes a bit longer. Our gas hob had a central wok ring so the heat went up the sides a bit which just helped cooked the food more evenly.

We have in fact bought some saucepans from ProCook as our existing non-stick ones were getting too worn. We have opted to not have a non-stick this time so hopefully, they will last longer.

I did see the grill pan in ProCook - as you pictured. We already a cast-iron one similar to this, but we wanted one that was totally flat - looking around it is called a Griddle. I have just decided to buy the Le Creuset one https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en_GB/p/cast-iron-rectangular-griddle/CI0203.html as I could find any other places so hopefully, this will be all good :)

I will look at their woks to see if they are any different to our one.

THanks for all your helps guys :)

The flat griddle is what I would have chosen, too. :thumbsup:

CD

Back
Top Bottom