Induction ovens

pocofan

Local time
4:06 PM
We just got one. Absolutely love cooking on the stove top. Kind of gave me a kick in the butt to try new things. We got the double oven. The induction baking is taking a little adjusting. The top is induction. The bottom is electric. Figured out I have to lower the temperature and watch my time. The bottom oven is electric so it’s easy peas.

I never knew such a thing existed. Now I have to know how such a thing works. :scratchhead:

CD

I'm intrigued....I've never heard of an induction oven. I've seen plenty of cookers with an induction hob + normal oven below (thats what I have, though separate built-in appliances rather than one single unit) but I can't find anything online about induction ovens....do you have a link?

This is not an induction oven, but it's a countertop convection toaster oven that serves me very well & it works like a charm!! It is my 2nd oven when I don't want to heat up the kitchen in the summer by using the main oven! Smaller, but mighty. I do most of my baking with it & anything that can be cooked in it without having to use the stove's oven often is a plus for me. It's very attractive & heats up very fast. Also, it's my "go-to" oven for making hot snacks & other things! Why buy an expensive induction oven when you can have THIS one & get the best of both worlds?!! I'm very happy with it!! :whistling:
Oster Toaster Oven 2.jpg

Last edited:
We just got one. Absolutely love cooking on the stove top. Kind of gave me a kick in the butt to try new things. We got the double oven. The induction baking is taking a little adjusting. The top is induction. The bottom is electric. Figured out I have to lower the temperature and watch my time. The bottom oven is electric so it’s easy peas.
Do you have any links?

I also can't find anything about induction ovens, only the induction cooktop & electric ovens (which is what i have as well)

Edit, found some links. I searched on "induction oven" with the quote marks. That will force your search engine to give you some results rather than search on the term induction and oven separately .

Pros and Cons of Induction Ovens - The Habitat

Last edited:
Yep I found similar kinds of articles, but the text seems to only refer to induction hobs....the oven parts sound (and look from the photos) to be conventional electric ovens. So I'd love a link to the oven pocofan has bought because I'm struggling to understand how induction can work in an oven.

I'm also starting to wonder if this is a phraseology thing.....is "oven" being used to describe an appliance which is a hob + oven in a single unit (what in the UK would be referred to as a "cooker")? In which case the oven part is likely to be a conventional oven and the induction only refers to the hob part?

Yep I found similar kinds of articles, but the text seems to only refer to induction hobs....the oven parts sound (and look from the photos) to be conventional electric ovens. So I'd love a link to the oven pocofan has bought because I'm struggling to understand how induction can work in an oven.

I'm also starting to wonder if this is a phraseology thing.....is "oven" being used to describe an appliance which is a hob + oven in a single unit (what in the UK would be referred to as a "cooker")? In which case the oven part is likely to be a conventional oven and the induction only refers to the hob part?

I wondered the same thing -- how does an induction oven work? We don't have 'hobs' in the US. We have stoves or cooktops. I'd like to have an induction cooktop to replace my ceramic electric cooktop.

CD

I wondered the same thing -- how does an induction oven work? We don't have 'hobs' in the US. We have stoves or cooktops. I'd like to have an induction cooktop to replace my ceramic electric cooktop.

CD

The links I gave are induction ovens (not induction cooktops and electric ovens) and explain how they work.

Unless I missed it, the article(s) only explain how induction works in general....nothing about how an induction oven works.
I think you missed it. There are snippets throughout the whole article.

Induction ovens sound like something out of science fiction. While traditional ovens work by heating the environment around a dish or pot, induction ovens use precise electrical currents to create a magnetic flux, which warms the dish itself, not the surrounding area.

The pot has to make contact with the heating element for the induction to work and the oven may automatically turn off if the pot slips or moves

Induction ovens work through electromagnetism, so home chefs that rely on ceramic or glass cookware may need to replace many of their pans and dishes.

The links I gave are induction ovens (not induction cooktops and electric ovens) and explain how they work.

I must have missed something. The link I saw was about the pros and cons of induction ovens. It didn't explain how they work. I understand how induction cooktops work, but those make direct contact with the cooking vessel. I don't know how that works in an oven.

CD

I think you missed it. There are snippets throughout the whole article.
No, the article just explains how induction works....and their explanations refer only to induction hobs/cooktops. They don't explain how that would work in the context of an oven.

If you think about it, the whole point of an oven is to use convection/air to transfer heat....which is exactly the opposite of how induction works. Which is why I'm starting to suspect that induction ovens don't actually exist at all and that this is all a big misunderstanding.

I must have missed something. The link I saw was about the pros and cons of induction ovens. It didn't explain how they work. I understand how induction cooktops work, but those make direct contact with the cooking vessel. I don't know how that works in an oven.

CD
Yep exactly!

No, the article just explains how induction works....and their explanations refer only to induction hobs/cooktops. They don't explain how that would work in the context of an oven.

If you think about it, the whole point of an oven is to use convection/air to transfer heat....which is exactly the opposite of how induction works. Which is why I'm starting to suspect that induction ovens don't actually exist at all and that this is all a big misunderstanding.

Yep exactly!

I'm with you on this. I don't think an induction oven exists. They are hobs sold as part of a freestanding cooker and sometimes the whole cooker is described as an 'induction cooker'. Here is an example:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hotpoint-hdm67i9h2cbuk-60-cm-electric-induction-cooker-black-10227709.html?q=Hotpoint 60CM HDM67I9H2CB/U Induction Electric Double Freestanding cooker

I give up trying to explain, so please just go and read this on Whirlpools website
6TH SENSE Induction Oven - Whirlpool UK

There is dedicated shelving to place the cooking vessels on. This whirlpool picture shows ceramic cooking vessels on their magnetic shelving. Other articles suggest that you can only use magnetic baking dishes which generate the heat in the cooking vessel, so I guess there is more than 1 approach.

The revolutionary Whirlpool induction oven has an induction shelf, which directly heats your food in the dedicated induction
tray for extremely efficient and precise cooking.
How does the induction work?
It works using a magnetic field created within the induction shelf, which works directly with the induction tray to heat your food. This way, your food is cooked evenly and quickly throughout.
Cook in half the time using half the energy!**
The induction method of cooking is much more efficient, with food cooked evenly and in half the time. The food is heated directly from the induction shelf, across the entire base of the induction tray allowing for even cooking and reduces energy waste. The grill above also works to brown food from above. Induction oven cooking saves you up to 50% in energy and time, compared to a regular Whirlpool oven, which means saving you money!
Induction technology is the secret to flavoursome results. The induction tray supplied with the Whirlpool Induction Oven warms the pot directly to ensure that the moisture remains sealed within the food. Should a user wish to switch from induction to traditional cooking, removing the induction tray allows a user to revert to traditional cooking instantly. The Cook3 function allows users 3 different dishes to be cooked simultaneously, on different levels, preventing aromas and flavours from mixing and saving even more time and energy. Its 73 litre capacity allows users to place oven trays on five different levels for maximum placement flexibility.
INDUCTION PLATE: to be used in induction mode only by placing it on the third shelf position and ensuring the electrical plug is fully inserted (refer to “Inserting wire shelves and other accessories in the oven”).

This link might lead you to the handbook/ manual for it (User Manual Whirlpool AKZM8920HIX 6th SENSE Stainless Steel | manualsFile). It does for me. The handbook also gives more insights as to how the Whirlpool version works.
They've been on the market since 2016 from what I can determine. I can't tell if they are still available.

Screenshot_20221220-122401_Opera.jpg

Back
Top Bottom