Inside herb garden?

Sweetkymom

Veteran
Local time
12:52 AM
Is it possible to grow herbs inside during the winter? If so, which ones grow better? I'm thinking about growing a garden through the winter months, inside.

yes it is possible but they are often long and leggy... I personally find it easier to purchase them from the supermarket in a pot and use what I need - the rest once the plant starts to get longer and leggier gets cut and frozen into ice cubes in the freezer.

As for what works best - what do you use the most would be a better question - there is little point in growing basil if you don't use it but parsley does work well with most things!

I kept some pots of herbs on my kitchen windowsill last winter, but none of them started growing new leaves until Spring arrived. In winter, where I live, there are not enough hours of daylight. Even if you provide heat and leave the lights on, most herbs will not grow in winter, unless the daylight hours are long enough, so I think it depends on where you live geographically.

When the weather is too cold, it can be difficult to grow herbs even if they are planted indoors. You can try though with basil, rosemary, etc. Personally, I prefer buying herbs at the supermarket when it is too cold. You can also try using dried herbs.

Rosemary is the only one I've had success in growing indoors. It's a very hardy plant. :) It can also withstand winters pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom