Recipe Instant mashed potato flakes gnocchi

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:42 PM
20240125_183318.jpg

These were not quite as good as made from scratch gnocchi, but they were easier and much quicker to the point they could be a week night meal. They are MUCH better than the commercially made gnocchi available in our grocery stores. I made a sage-browned butter sauce, but you could use whatever sauce you want - marinara, Alfredo, pesto, pesto made with dried tomatoes, etc.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups plain instant mashed potato flakes
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 tsp salt, plus more for cooking water
1/2 to 1 tsp ground black pepper (optional, to your taste)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 to 1 cup AP flour, plus more for rolling if needed

DIRECTIONS

Place potato flakes in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if using. Add boiling water and stir until well combined and all flakes are incorporated. Set aside to cool.

I prepared our salads while the mixture cooled and started the sage-browned butter sauce by melting 1 stick (8 Tbsp) of unsalted butter with 6 or 7 small whole sage leaves over low heat plus a couple of pinches of salt and a pinch of pepper. After butter started to brown, removed from heat.

Then, added the egg to the dough and mixed well, added 1/2 cup of flour, mixing until fully incorporated. I used the remaining flour on the board, flouring the board well and pushing the excess off to a corner. Turned out the potato mixture onto the board and kneaded, adding flour as necessary, until the dough had the texture of new play-dough. At this point, since I needed to rest, I covered the dough with a slightly dampened paper towel and we both rested for about 30 minutes, but I doubt this step is necessary.

Start a large pot of water to boil, adding a good bit of salt right before cooking the gnocchi.

If you've never made gnocchi before, pinch off a couple of pieces not quite double the size of a marble, roll into a ball, put a thumbprint in it and cook as below to make sure it holds together.

Divide the dough into quarters and roll into about a 1" (2.5 cm) log. Cut into about 1/2" (1.25 cm) pieces. Shape using the back of fork or a gnocchi board as demonstrated in the link above.

Drop a quarter of the gnocchi into the boiling water, give them a gentle stir with a slotted spoon or spider, then allow them to start floating to top. Give them another gentle stir, allow remainder to float to top, cook another 2 minutes or so. Remove to a colander set over a bowl with a slotted spoon or spider. Cook remainder as above.

If using a browned butter sauce, remove whole leaves and slice 5 or 6 sage leaves into the butter and heat over medium high. Add gnocchi and lightly brown. Serve, using Pecorino Romano as garnish.

Last edited:
This is such a brilliant idea. When making gnocchi, the main issue is the moisture in the potatoes. I still use Craig's method of baking the potatoes (instead of boiling). No problem with moisture here! And, no need to rice the potatoes to get the right consistency. You've just saved a lot of time. Now, I want to buy potato flakes, and have them handy in case I want to throw this together.

We have never used instant mashed potato flakes, but saw the gnocchi made on either an ATK or Cook's Country episode, so were curious. We had the opportunity to get a free box so figured why not, all it would cost was an egg, some flour and a little time if they turned out bad.

We met an older Jewish gentleman once who said he used them to make potato latkes. Haven't tried that yet, but may in the future.

Last edited:
View attachment 109544

These were not quite as good as made from scratch gnocchi, but they were easier and much quicker to the point they could be a week night meal. They are MUCH better than the commercially made gnocchi available in our grocery stores. I made a sage-browned butter sauce, but you could use whatever sauce you want - marinara, Alfredo, pesto, pesto made with dried tomatoes, etc.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups plain instant mashed potato flakes
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 tsp salt, plus more for cooking water
1/2 to 1 tsp ground black pepper (optional, to your taste)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 to 1 cup AP flour, plus more for rolling if needed

DIRECTIONS

Place potato flakes in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if using. Add boiling water and stir until well combined and all flakes are incorporated. Set aside to cool.

I prepared our salads while the mixture cooled and started the sage-browned butter sauce by melting 1 stick (8 Tbsp) of unsalted butter with 6 or 7 small whole sage leaves over low heat plus a couple of pinches of salt and a pinch of pepper. After butter started to brown, removed from heat.

Then, added the egg to the dough and mixed well, added 1/2 cup of flour, mixing until fully incorporated. I used the remaining flour on the board, flouring the board well and pushing the excess off to a corner. Turned out the potato mixture onto the board and kneaded, adding flour as necessary, until the dough had the texture of new play-dough. At this point, since I needed to rest, I covered the dough with a slightly dampened paper towel and we both rested for about 30 minutes, but I doubt this step is necessary.

Start a large pot of water to boil, adding a good bit of salt right before cooking the gnocchi.

If you've never made gnocchi before, pinch off a couple of pieces not quite double the size of a marble, roll into a ball, put a thumbprint in it and cook as below to make sure it holds together.

Divide the dough into quarters and roll into about a 1" (2.5 cm) log. Cut into about 1/2" (1.25 cm) pieces. Shape using the back of fork or a gnocchi board as demonstrated in the link above.

Drop a quarter of the gnocchi into the boiling water, give them a gentle stir with a slotted spoon or spider, then allow them to start floating to top. Give them another gentle stir, allow remainder to float to top, cook another 2 minutes or so. Remove to a colander set over a bowl with a slotted spoon or spider. Cook remainder as above.

If using a browned butter sauce, remove whole leaves and slice 5 or 6 sage leaves into the butter and heat over medium high. Add gnocchi and lightly brown. Serve, using Pecorino Romano as garnish.

I'd been thinking about this (especially as I have limited mobility at the moment). You beat me to it! Nigella has also used this method so you are in good company.

We have never used instant mashed potato flakes, but saw the gnocchi made on either an ATK or Cook's Country episode, so were curious. We had the opportunity to get a free box so figured why not, all it would cost was an egg, some flour and a little time if they turned out bad.

We met an older Jewish gentleman once who said he used them to make potato latkes. Haven't tried that yet, but may in the future.
I had a friend when I lived in Florida who didn't have any flour or breadcrumbs on hand so he used potato flakes to bread his fish. Came out crispy and delicious!

Your gnocchi looks delicious!

Back
Top Bottom