Invention Test

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:13 PM
This is @SatNavSaysStraightOn's challenge: What can you make from these ingredients? The ingredients were randomly chosen by members in this thread Name the first ingredient that comes to mind. The ingredients chosen were:

fullsizeoutput_32dc.jpeg

Chickpeas (tinned or dried)
Cumin
Oranges
Cream (any sort)
Salmon
Basil
Steak.

Water, oil, salt and pepper are allowed as extras. Vegan or dairy free substitutions for cream, salmon and steak are allowed. You must use all the ingredients. You can make more than one dish (so all ingredients do not need to be in one dish!).

No need to actually make the dishes but you can if you want to! Just post your ideas in this thread. But remember - you must use all the ingredients.

Last edited:
This would have been so much easier if flour were allowed. But, since it isn't, when I saw salmon, orange, and cream, I immediately thought of salmon mousse; chickpeas could also go in the mousse for added character.

But, this could all go on the same plate if you made salmon-and-steak kebabs. You could make a rub to coat them using orange juice (and zest), oil, and (toasted) cumin, then cook away on a grill. The basil, cream, and chickpeas could then go to make a sauce. The only thing missing would be a vegetable to alternate between the meat on the skewer. Maybe orange wedges could go where the vegetables would normally go?

Salmon and steak kebabs? I'm not at all sure I'd want salmon and steak alternating on a skewer. I can see the beef and orange kebabs working nicely though. The mousse is a clever thought.

So far I've got a five course meal. Although, the dessert is a bit iffy at the moment as there is no sugar or honey ore anything. I've made 3 courses which I'll post later. The other two will be tomorrow.

This would have been so much easier if flour were allowed. But, since it isn't, when I saw salmon, orange, and cream, I immediately thought of salmon mousse; chickpeas could also go in the mousse for added character.

But, this could all go on the same plate if you made salmon-and-steak kebabs. You could make a rub to coat them using orange juice (and zest), oil, and (toasted) cumin, then cook away on a grill. The basil, cream, and chickpeas could then go to make a sauce. The only thing missing would be a vegetable to alternate between the meat on the skewer. Maybe orange wedges could go where the vegetables would normally go?

What about chickpea flour?:okay: Putting ingredients that cook at different rates on the same skewer is asking for disaster, IMO. Put the fish on one skewer and the steak on another. Does salmon include smoked or cured? Also, define "pepper", please.

If this is like "Chopped", what about other pantry items like sugar or honey?

Last edited:
Seared steak with black pepper and red pepper cream sauce - I dry salt-brined the sirloin steak for an hour then seared in cast iron sizzle pan and finished with blow-torch. The sauce was double cream reduction, a little orange juice added, salt, peppercorns part-crushed and juices from the sizzle pan.

fullsizeoutput_330a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3306.jpeg

This looks lovely. Your chickpea flatbeds look nicer than mine, how do you cook yours?

I winged it! First time I ever made them. Just salt, chickpea flour and water and kneaded a bit. Rolled out and fried in a little oil. No secrets... I'm sure I could do better. They didn't puff up.

Back
Top Bottom