Iron in the diet

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:14 AM
[Mod.edit: this and following few posts moved to form a new topic]

I love it.
Chicken liver, calves liver and offal in general.
It's also on my top list of foods to have to increase my iron levels since I have Mediterranean anaemia.
Spinach is a good source of iron, too, but you probably already knew that. It's a good thing that you like something you need to eat to improve your health. I love spinach 😋

Last edited by a moderator:
Spinach is a good source of iron, too, but you probably already knew that. It's a good thing that you like something you need to eat to improve your health. I love spinach 😋
I had scheduled surgery when I was in my late teens. I got sent home because my iron was way too low. For the next five or six weeks I was on iron pills and force fed liver and onions by Mom and Dad. (Well, it felt like force feeding...) Now, if they had just gotten me liverwurst and haggis, I'd have been fine dining on the stuff!)

Spinach does not have nearly the amount of iron in it that liver does, if you need to up your levels enough for surgery.

Reactions: mjd
I had scheduled surgery when I was in my late teens. I got sent home because my iron was way too low. For the next five or six weeks I was on iron pills and force fed liver and onions by Mom and Dad. (Well, it felt like force feeding...) Now, if they had just gotten me liverwurst and haggis, I'd have been fine dining on the stuff!)

Spinach does not have nearly the amount of iron in it that liver does, if you need to up your levels enough for surgery.
Iron pills are known to cause constipation, so that is no bueno. There are other good sources of iron besides liver, thankfully.

Yep. I just started them and have to take something else to prevent that problem. What fun. NOT!
Lentils are a good source of iron, and so are shellfish like clams. Eaten together that doesn't sound very appealing, LOL. The lentils will help keep you regular, however. You could always make a lentil and kale soup with ham for flavor and then eat some clam chowder later, LOL.

Lentils are a good source of iron, and so are shellfish like clams. Eaten together that doesn't sound very appealing, LOL. The lentils will help keep you regular, however. You could always make a lentil and kale soup with ham for flavor and then eat some clam chowder later, LOL.
I'm allergic to shellfish. I have some GI issues (hereditary) that makes MOST of what others can eat to get a response almost impossible for me. My ex only has to drink warm apple juice. It's so unfair! LOL

I like lentils though so I'll make that with kale and ham just because.

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm allergic to shellfish. I have some GI issues (hereditary) that makes MOST of what others can eat to get a response almost impossible for me. My ex only has to drink warm apple juice. It's so unfair! LOL

I like lentils though so I'll make that with kale and ham just because.

Thanks for the ideas!
My oldest stepdaughter is also allergic to shellfish and some crustaceans, though not all seafood. It's sad, because she loves the way it tastes. I always had to alter my family-favorite seafood chowder whenever we had get-togethers because of that.

Apple cider vinegar can help with keeping things moving, if you know what I mean. If you hate the taste, they make it in a tablet form and also have gummies that aren't bad. It also helps with weight loss if that's an issue for you. I started taking them in September and dropped 9 pounds in 3 months without doing anything else differently (that was between doctor's visits, I don't own a scale so I am not sure if I have lost even more since then).

Also Vitamin C helps you absorb iron better, and if you increase the uptake of that, it keeps things loose. The great thing about vitamin C is if you take more than your body needs, it's expelled in urine so you can't "OD" on vitamin C. It can irritate the stomach lining if you don't drink enough water or take too much at one time.

Then there are always prunes, which I am not fond of...

My oldest stepdaughter is also allergic to shellfish and some crustaceans, though not all seafood. It's sad, because she loves the way it tastes. I always had to alter my family-favorite seafood chowder whenever we had get-togethers because of that.

Apple cider vinegar can help with keeping things moving, if you know what I mean. If you hate the taste, they make it in a tablet form and also have gummies that aren't bad. It also helps with weight loss if that's an issue for you. I started taking them in September and dropped 9 pounds in 3 months without doing anything else differently (that was between doctor's visits, I don't own a scale so I am not sure if I have lost even more since then).

Also Vitamin C helps you absorb iron better, and if you increase the uptake of that, it keeps things loose. The great thing about vitamin C is if you take more than your body needs, it's expelled in urine so you can't "OD" on vitamin C. It can irritate the stomach lining if you don't drink enough water or take too much at one time.

I've never had any seafood except shrimp. My doctor wasn't entirely sure what caused me to go into anaphylaxis so I was warned to never have ANY of it. I've even had that response with secondary contact (a restaurant chef cut my chicken sandwich with a knife used to cut shellfish) so I try not to risk it.

I don't mind the taste of ACV and use it regularly (just for health benefits, not necessarily weight loss). I am a bit bummed out lately because I've gained 50 lbs. since the lockdowns. I was underweight before but still. I think some of it is being less active and the anti-depressant I take (which is the only thing I've had change during that time). I've tried to talk to my doctor about it but she just shrugs it off. Hopefully, I can get the meds switched.

I don't take a daily vitamin but drink Emergen-C a few times a month. I lean toward the "natural remedies" versus allopathic medicine so that's always my first choice. I have been thinking about taking it more often during winter. I've never noticed it helping with regularity. I even have trouble with Magnesium Citrate and Miralax. I wish it was as easy as it seems to be for others.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I've never had any seafood except shrimp. My doctor wasn't entirely sure what caused me to go into anaphylaxis so I was warned to never have ANY of it. I've even had that response with secondary contact (a restaurant chef cut my chicken sandwich with a knife used to cut shellfish) so I try not to risk it.

I don't mind the taste of ACV and use it regularly (just for health benefits, not necessarily weight loss). I am a bit bummed out lately because I've gained 50 lbs. since the lockdowns. I was underweight before but still. I think some of it is being less active and the anti-depressant I take (which is the only thing I've had change during that time). I've tried to talk to my doctor about it but she just shrugs it off. Hopefully, I can get the meds switched.

I don't take a daily vitamin but drink Emergen-C a few times a month. I lean toward the "natural remedies" versus allopathic medicine so that's always my first choice. I have been thinking about taking it more often during winter. I've never noticed it helping with regularity. I even have trouble with Magnesium Citrate and Miralax. I wish it was as easy as it seems to be for others.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.
Try taking your Emergen-C more often. I was a rep for several nutritional companies for a number of years as a side job, so I was always studying and staying on top of things. Food is one of the bests way to heal your body (and mind and spirit) in most circumstances. Yoga is always good, or if some of the poses are too difficult, just gently stretching is a good thing.

Try taking your Emergen-C more often. I was a rep for several nutritional companies for a number of years as a side job, so I was always studying and staying on top of things. Food is one of the bests way to heal your body (and mind and spirit) in most circumstances. Yoga is always good, or if some of the poses are too difficult, just gently stretching is a good thing.
Is it okay if I PM you?

Is it okay if I PM you?
Sure. I'm on my way to an outdoor event--middle stepdaughter's boyfriend is proposing to her, she doesn't know. Its too cold out for it to be too lengthy (hopefully).

Feel free to PM, or if you are comfortable posting openly you can stat a nutritional thread.

Sure. I'm on my way to an outdoor event--middle stepdaughter's boyfriend is proposing to her, she doesn't know. Its too cold out for it to be too lengthy (hopefully).

Feel free to PM, or if you are comfortable posting openly you can stat a nutritional thread.
Well she said yes, which I had guessed would happen. It was too cold, so the gathering dispersed and the sensible ones got into their cars and left while the maskless people hugged and stayed to go inside and party.

My iron levels are always precarious and lower than the normal level - well, I suppose that’s what catalogues me as an anaemic. I can cope with that by now, yet sometimes in the past my levels were such dramatically low that I needed drips in hospital. It happens again but less. In general I take supplements and iron drops and have to follow a food-plan (dark chocolate too, hooray!)
Despite this though, I feel so weak sometimes that I simply cannot do nothing else but stay on the sofa or going to sleep.
Once I asked to my doctor “Should I take iron and supplements everyday? I hope I don’t or I’ll attract lightenings” :laugh:

Pure apple cider vinegar can be easily taken with a glass of apple juice. You only need about one tablespoon of the pure vinegar, so it just makes the apple juice taste slightly more potent in flavor.

Just be careful if you have stomach acid issues. As always, talk to a doctor.

CD

CD

Pure apple cider vinegar can be easily taken with a glass of apple juice. You only need about one tablespoon of the pure vinegar, so it just makes the apple juice taste slightly more potent in flavor.

Just be careful if you have stomach acid issues. As always, talk to a doctor.

CD

CD
I used to drink it diluted with water and mixed with honey, warmed. It's too acidic so I take the pills.

Back
Top Bottom