Is a Shepherd's Pie supposed to have a crust?

Imsotiredofnuggets

Local time
3:59 PM
Here is a debate in my house. I made a Shepherd's Pie for supper and my grandma in law asked why it didn't have a crust. I stated because they aren't supposed to! This began a lengthy family debate. I'm looking for you folks to weigh in.

The basics of a Shepherd's Pie (without a specific recipe) is beef and veges combined with mushroom soup and various spices then put into a dish. Potatoes go over top of the mixture with more spices/bacon bits/cheese.

What do you guys think? Am I "out to lunch " (Pun totally intended)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall ever having shepherd's pie (lamb) or cottage pie (beef) with a crust, here or in the UK.

CD

The cottage pies that I cook (I rarely cook shepherd's pie because decent lamb is not readily available here) have a sort of crust. The mashed potato topping is grilled until a crust is formed.

I think the OP is referring to a crust underneath the pie. I'm guessing a pastry crust, like more traditional pies.

CD

Here is a debate in my house. I made a Shepard's Pie for supper and my grandma in law asked why it didn't have a crust. I stated because they aren't supposed to! This began a lengthy family debate. I'm looking for you folks to weigh in.

The basics of a Sherpard's Pie (without a specific recipe) is beef and veges combined with mushroom soup and various spices then put into a dish. Potatoes go over top of the mixture with more spices/bacon bits/cheese.

The term Pie in Uk is used for other dishes also..Pie in Canada usually means something in crust..unless it is Cow Pie

Here is a debate in my house. I made a Shepard's Pie for supper and my grandma in law asked why it didn't have a crust. I stated because they aren't supposed to! This began a lengthy family debate. I'm looking for you folks to weigh in.

The basics of a Sherpard's Pie (without a specific recipe) is beef and veges combined with mushroom soup and various spices then put into a dish. Potatoes go over top of the mixture with more spices/bacon bits/cheese.

Here in nz we love lamb. That is shepherds pie here with minced carrots onions and other root veges. I like parsnips too..then mashed potatoes on top. I use a fork to give a peaky top. Cook then last 15 mins fan bake for crusty. Its one of my top meals from my childhood. I'm cooking lamb in a few days so I'll make a pie and put pics up. My mash has cheese and butter in it.

Russ

Btw the meat mix has ketchup and worst ever sauce in it.

Mashed potato baked till it is crustlike.

No pastry crust - at least I've never seen one.

I've eaten Shep Pie in a Gordon Ramsey restaurant (Bread St. Kitchen, Hong Kong) and it was potato.

A Classic Shepherd´s Pie should be minced lamb, veggies (usually peas and/or carrots), and a mashed potato topping. Baked in the oven until the topping is browned. Definitely no crust on top, because the topping is potato, not pastry.
Cottage Pie is the same, but with beef, not lamb.
I suppose you can fiddle around with what you put inside: tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, what ever takes your fancy; but then it ceases to be a Cottage Pie and becomes something else.

Once again, I don't think the OP's question is about what goes ON TOP of the shepherd's/cottage pie, but if there is supposed to be a pie crust UNDER the pie filling.

CD

Once again, I don't think the OP's question is about what goes ON TOP of the shepherd's/cottage pie, but if there is supposed to be a pie crust UNDER the pie filling.
I didn´t interpret the OP´s post like that, but since you mention it...
The answer is NO WAY!:D:D

CD

Could be read either way. But either way a Shepherd's pie has no pastry crust. And a shepherd herds sheep so its made with lamb not beef. In its traditional form its a very simple UK dish. Not really any spicing, definitely no mushroom soup, possibly a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce:

Here is a basic recipe: Shepherd's Pie Recipe | Comfort Food Recipes | Tesco Real Food

If you use beef it becomes a Cottage pie (as I think is stated above) but is otherwise very similar.

Could be read either way. But either way a Shepherd's pie has no pastry crust. And a shepherd herds sheep so its made with lamb not beef. In its traditional form its a very simple UK dish. Not really any spicing, definitely no mushroom soup, possibly a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce:

Here is a basic recipe: Shepherd's Pie Recipe | Comfort Food Recipes | Tesco Real Food

If you use beef it becomes a Cottage pie (as I think is stated above) but is otherwise very similar.
Yes..my Shepherd's pie, has very few ingredients..but, I do use beef..

Back
Top Bottom