Is coconut oil as good for you as everyone says it is?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:34 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Here's an excellent article that examines that very question. And, here's a summary of what that article has to say on the topic:
  1. There is a significant health difference between partially hydrogenated coconut oil and virgin coconut oil, which has not been chemically treated. The partially hydrogenated coconut oil contains trans fat.
  2. Coconut oil that is not partially hydrogenated, however, is still one of the most concentrated food sources of saturated fat (more so than butter, beef fat, or lard). Coconut oil is about 90% saturated fat. Butter is about 64% saturated fat, and beef fat and lard are about 40%, and olive oil sits at 14%
  3. Yet there is evidence to suggest that the distinct composition of coconut oil makes it less detrimental—and maybe even neutral or beneficial—for heart health as compared to other saturated fat sources. The net effect of coconut oil depends on what it is replacing (if anything) in the diet.
  4. But even the benefits of HDL—the "good" cholesterol boosted by coconut oil—are not entirely clear.
  5. The moral of the story? We don't know very much about coconut oil and heart health. Evidence of an association between coconut consumption and risk factors for heart disease is mostly of very poor quality
  6. Evidence that coconut oil can lead to significant weight loss is not likely to have significant real world application. Marie-Pierre St-Onge has a study that showed a link between coconut oil and metabolic rate. But, in order for the results of her studies to have any real world application, people would have to consume a ton of high-calorie coconut oil, thereby offsetting any metabolism-revving weight loss benefits.
  7. Coconut oil is a source of antioxidants—but so are foods that don't contain nearly as much saturated fat.
  8. Lauric acid, which makes about about half of the fatty acids in coconut oil, has strong antimicrobial properties, but how that plays out within the human body is less known.
  9. There is no clinical evidence that coconut oil can treat Alzheimer's (though anecdotal evidence and theoretical research does exist).

Coconut oil has certainly become cult trendy. I dislike the taste of it personally. I'd rather use it as a moisturiser! But it is an interesting article.

Last edited:
It's curious because here in Australia it is in everything and sold reallyr in the supermarkets here. Coconut milk (add in the fresh stuff not the canned/tinned variety but something similar to Almond milk) again is really available here and used everywhere. Refined organic coconut oil is sold in the supermarkets and you can even purchase a version that is liquid (even at my current temperature below zero) rather than a solid. I didn't used to use it, but given its availability and lower cost hey in Australia, I have started to use it in a lot more cooking and baking.

There is no clinical evidence that coconut oil can treat Alzheimer's (though anecdotal evidence and theoretical research does exist).
I believe that this has changed very recently and that research is showing that if consumed from an early age (in rats and mice) it does help prevent the onset of Alzheimer's.
If i get chance I'll try to find the article

The men in white coats are guessing again and I'm afraid the effect on a few rats and mice over a short period of time [they don't live long] will never compare to the effect on a human over ten or twenty years even. It's way too easy to trade off one problem for another.

Coconut oil has certainly become cult trendy. I dislike the taste of it personally. I'd rather use it as a moisturiser! But it is an interesting article.

@morning glory

I have never eaten or used coconut oil in cuisine however, I do use it as a moisturiser for dry skin. It Works miraculously.

Yes, a very interesting article ..

Have a nice wkend.

@morning glory

I have never eaten or used coconut oil in cuisine however, I do use it as a moisturiser for dry skin. It Works miraculously.

Yes, a very interesting article ..

Have a nice wkend.

I use coconut oil for dry skin too, and with almond oil, is perfect for this. But apart from that, I have no other way to use it, maybe I've used it for some cake but I'm not so sure.

I use coconut oil for dry skin too, and with almond oil, is perfect for this. But apart from that, I have no other way to use it, maybe I've used it for some cake but I'm not so sure.

@MypinchofItaly

Good Afternoon,

Yes, I buy natural pure Coconut Oil at a Health Food Shop which we call " Herbolarios " .. (Herboriste in Italian ).

I really am not a fan of normal industrial produced ( any product ) or coconut oil for pastry making because it has "trans fats" .. One however, can purchase it at a Health Food Shop ..

Have a fabulous weekend ..

@MypinchofItaly

Good Afternoon,

Yes, I buy natural pure Coconut Oil at a Health Food Shop which we call " Herbolarios " .. (Herboriste in Italian ).

I really am not a fan of normal industrial produced ( any product ) or coconut oil for pastry making because it has "trans fats" .. One however, can purchase it at a Health Food Shop ..

Have a fabulous weekend ..

I buy at Erboristeria too or at Erbolario (an Italian shop - I think is only here in Italy)..

Back
Top Bottom