Is it worth having an allotment?

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
10:07 AM
I have recently started fantasising about having an allotment. I love the idea of growing my own vegetables and then cooking with them. Although I own my own home, my garden isn't really suitable for growing vegetables. I investigated the price of renting an allotment and was shocked by how little it was. I also researched the price of seeds and bulbs and realized that I would probably save money on groceries over the year. I have a few concerns about making the step into starting an allotment though. Firstly, I don't really know what I am doing as I have very little gardening experience. Secondly, I am not sure I have the time to dedicate to it as I have four children and work. Finally, I worry that there will be surplus vegetables at some times of the year and that I will have to supplement the veg I am growing seasonally with store bought food. If this was the case it wouldn't really save me money. If there is anyone with any experience who can advise me on this matter I would be really grateful.

We never had an allotment, but we did have a huge (2 acre) garden where we had set aside various areas for veg, fruit, fruit trees, herb and a greenhouse. My in-laws have had an allotment the entire time I have known them - around 20 years now.

You will find that allotments vary from one place to another - looking for a secure allotment if you live in a city is useful. My in-laws have this issue and it is not uncommon for sheds to be set on fire and gardening equipment stolen (prior to the site being made more secure that is).

On the allotment itself you will get to know people and if you are willing to 'help' them they will help you and if you are willing to spend time listening to people, you will learn a lot. Time is the key though and from your post I am not certain you will have enough of it, without knowing the ages of the 4 children you have. My in-laws also have 4 sons and all 4 were 'made' to help out on the allotment. All but one of them sees it as a chore now!

You will also find that the allotment probably has a gardening club where seeds can be purchased much cheaper than off the shelf in supermarkets or garden centres. This will help considerably because the costs do build up - something I could not share with others having no neighbours where we lived at the time.

As for seasonal variation and surplus veg. Well season is inevitable, but there are crops that are suitable to all year round harvesting and sowing and some actually require it (such as onions, garlic, kale, broccoli). I always grew around 50kg of many types of potatoes each year, and we would not need to purchase potatoes again until around Easter - but they did need checking over regularly to remove any bad ones and eat the ones showing signs of 'going soft' first. They also needed to have their skins dried on them, so a day out in the sun was required to harden the skins after I had washed them (I established early on that cleaning the skins before the soil had dried was much easier than several months down the line).

Some veg, mostly the leafy kind can be grown on a rota, so you sew a few seeds each week of say carrots, beetroot (for the leaves and later for the root itself), peas, broad beans, runner beans, any salad leaves etc, so that you can harvest regularly and have a regular crop.

But things like carrots, beetroot leaves, lettuce and to be honest, even runner beans and broad beans can be grown in any garden border, as can herbs, so perhaps your best option would be to consider growing a few things at home this year and see how it works out?

If you really want a garden then what are you waiting for? Go out and get your allotment and get going on growing your own food!

Definitely, if you've got the time and the commitment to take care of it, because they are a lot of work. Why not see if there is someone who will share it with you, so you can split the workload.

You need to go into it with your eyes open. You will make mistakes. Learn from them. Sometimes you won't get a crop, it's not just as easy as putting seeds in the ground then watering them once a week. It's takes a lot of time to get an allotment up and running and you need to be able to commit yourself to it. But it could be great - get the kids involved too as it's important for them to know where their food comes from.

As regards surplus, there are plenty of ways to preserve fruit and vegetables, so you won't need to waste anything. If you are hoping that your garden will sustain you all year round, then you need to do your research to find out what needs to be planted and when.

You should be looking companion planting wherever possible, that will help to protect your crops from pests.

Ultimately, allotments are a lot of work, but they are also extremely rewarding. There's no better feeling than eating something that you have grown and nurtured yourself.

There is usually a waiting list for allotments but if you can get one, go for it.

You should get your children involved. They can have fun growing tomatoes and sunflowers and help with harvesting your crops. Get your partner, parents and other relatives involved. They may be prepared to put in a few hours in return for free food.

Some alltoment communities have selling days and swopping opportunities, so you can sell your surplus vegetables or exchange with other allotment gardeners who have something you do not grow.

Back
Top Bottom