Is your cup of tea killing you?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
5:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This makes for an interesting, if alarming, read.

Plastic tea bags are releasing billions of microplastics into your tea - Geographical Magazine

For a nation that consumes up to 60.2 billion cups of tea a year, this has caused concern and while there is as yet no evidence that the plastics affect human health, the United Nations has said more research is needed to fully understand the effect plastics have on the body
And ties in with this article (New evidence points to microplastics’ toxic impact on the human body - Geographical Magazine), also regarding plastics and our inadvertent consumption of them.

The launch of the Plastic Health Summit, taking place 3 October, aims to set the record straight by releasing the results of a study from the University Medical Centre (UMC) Utrecht that indicates immune cells that recognise and attack microplastics die quickly as a result of the contact.

TastyReuben

Local time
2:31 PM
I read that recently as well. As far as I know, of the maybe 30 different bagged teas I have, only one uses a plastic mesh bag. I don't care for their tea that much anyway, so I wasn't planning on ordering more.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:31 PM
Apart from anything else there is no need for plastic teabags - they add to the tide of plastic which doesn't bio-degrade. I think that they will probably be phased out due to the increasing awareness of this issue & public pressure. I use PG tips and they are made of paper. It seems to be only expensive teas that come in plastic.

Mewmew

Local time
I didn't know there were plastic tea bags - do now. Wouldn't use them. Paper is better.

epicuric

Veteran
Staff member
Local time
My understanding is that this is not about plastic teabags per se (although a bad idea, obviously), but about what appear to be paper teabags that actually have micro plastics embedded in them. It's worth doing a bit of research on the brands you use - you may be be using teabags containing plastic without knowing it!

Top Bottom