Is Your Pantry Your New Junk Drawer?

Karen W

Über Member
Local time
8:40 AM
I was reading an article about how organized Ina Garten's pantry is, along with organization tips for same. Do you use some of the space for storage (kitchen appliances, etc.)? Is it a catchall for (kitchen) junk? Admittedly, I shoud go through it, and check expiration dates. What's hiding in your pantry? How organized are you?

Well, I don't really have a pantry, per se, just cupboards. Other people I know, they have something that's more like closet-sized, and that's what I think of as a pantry.

I'm organized as far as I'm able to find what I'm looking for, but I'm sure others would look in my kitchen and think, "Why is that item here, and this other very similar item is there?"

Spices, for example, I think a lot of people organize them alphabetically. My have no pattern whatsoever, but I always put them back in the same spot, so after a few years, I just automatically know that the garlic powder is next to the mace, which is just behind the Chinese Five-Spice.

If I asked you to hand me the dried thyme, though, you'd be stuck for a bit looking for it. :)

I don't have a pantry as such either - just cupboards and a pull out 'larder'. My pull out larder is reasonably organised but crammed to the gunnels! As are most of the cupboards. I'll post some photos if I dare...

We have 1 junk drawer in the kitchen. Our pantry is in great order if I must say so myself. There have been several times when DD visited, that she has taken pictures of our pantry. I asked her why? She said to show her friends and to try to fix hers like ours. To me, that was one of the best compliments she could have given us. (as far as the house goes)

I'm very organized with the kitchen in general. I have everything labeled. Even some labels in the refrigerator. I spend so much time cooking and baking, that I have too. My dream is to have my kitchen bursting at the seams like Julia Child's. I love to can, every jar has a label. Every jar goes into a basket that has a label. I keep rolls of tape and sharpie markers in the kitchen, pantry, and storage room.

Back
Top Bottom