Recipe Italian Sausage with Bell Peppers and Onions

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
9:58 AM
You can either cut the sausages up into bite size pieces, saute them with various color bell peppers (the more, the merrier, I think), and sweet onions, and serve it on top of a base such as polenta OR you can cook the sausages whole to use for a sandwich in a hearty bun, then top with sauteed peppers/onions and cheese of your choice. I made a one-bowl meal with polenta as the base.

20170905_220016.jpg

Serves four

Ingredients

12-16 ounces (300 to 400g) Italian sausage. Amount depends on how little or much meat you want.
3-4 (or more) bell peppers of various colors.
One very large, or two small, sweet onions such as Vidalia, OSO Sweet, or whatever is available near you.
Shredded cheese such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino-Romano, or another flavorful, hard cheese

Cut up Italian sausage, saute in a bit of olive oil, remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion wedges until they brown a bit, remove from pan and set aside. Add cut-up peppers to the same pan, saute until they just start to brown in spots, then cover pan and simmer until they just start getting tender. Remove cover, add sausage and onions back to pan, and cook until everything is hot. Feel free to add more oil if you need to during the cooking, but be careful that you don't add so much that the end result is greasy.

To serve, spoon soft-cooked polenta into a bowl, mix in a bit of cheese until melted, top with sausage mixture, and top with more shredded cheese of your choice.

Thank you, @Francesca.

@The Late Night Gourmet , this works great as a sandwich! If you don't mind sloppy sandwiches, feel free to add a marinara sauce between the sausage link and the veggies/cheese, then pop it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Definitely a man's meal...that's fit for a lady, too. :wink:
I'm also thinking that this would work with some egg for a breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom