• Aubergine, 1
  • 200g fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices
  • A handful of cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • Basil Pesto, to taste
  • Grated Parmigiano cheese, a handful
  • EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a drizzle
  • Salt and Pepper, a pinch
Method

Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.

Wash and dry the aubergine well. Place it horizontally on the chopping board, slice it about 1 cm and stop before reaching the bottom of the aubergine. The slices must stay attached to the base of the aubergine, it has to be in one piece.

Spacing slices a bit, season with some Evoo, a pinch of salt and pepper.

Line a baking tray with parchment paper, place the aubergine over it, put in the oven for about 25 minutes in a static oven.

Take it out, do not turn off the oven, stuff by placing in the cuts alternating or all together a slice of mozzarella, one of tomato, a dash of basil pesto, a sprinkling of grated cheese, a drizzle of oil evenly.

Put it back in the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the aubergine is cooked through.

Last edited:
I made this. ;-)

I cut up too many tomatoes so some cuts got two instead of one.

My local grocery store doesn't carry Basil pesto (or were out of it) so I made some based on this recipe...
Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

My caregiver forgot to get fresh Basil so I used dried with a sprinkle of oregano.

Tip: I used a skewer through the bottom edge of the eggplant to hold the pieces together and make it easier to pick up (since I forgot to put down the parchment paper or foil).

It smelled delicious when cooking! I'll have it for lunch.

20210127_091835.jpg

I made this. ;-)

I cut up too many tomatoes so some cuts got two instead of one.

My local grocery store doesn't carry Basil pesto (or were out of it) so I made some based on this recipe...
Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

My caregiver forgot to get fresh Basil so I used dried with a sprinkle of oregano.

Tip: I used a skewer through the bottom edge of the eggplant to hold the pieces together and make it easier to pick up (since I forgot to put down the parchment paper or foil).

It smelled delicious when cooking! I'll have it for lunch.

View attachment 55984

Oh my gosh, you've already made it!
I love that you used oregano, it fits perfectly! If dried basil works for you then that's fine. Just a little tip from me: give basil pesto a try, it's worth it, believe me.
Otherwise, there's an alternative if you like rocket salad / arugula : rocket salad / arugula pesto mixed with almonds - being sweet they dampen the bitterness of the rocket salad a bit, add oil and Parmesan, a pinch of salt and you've done it. It's also great as a pasta sauce :)

Perhaps try cutting the aubergine slices slightly less thick

Great idea to use a skewer at the bottom of the eggplant :thumbsup:

This is such a delightfully straightforward recipe and looks so appealing. Would you serve it with anything else to accompany MypinchofItaly or just as a course on its own?

I had it just as a course on its own because it seemed enough to me, but I'm thinking that served with roast potatoes might be a good idea, probably better..:p:

Oh my gosh, you've already made it!
I love that you used oregano, it fits perfectly! If dried basil works for you then that's fine. Just a little tip from me: give basil pesto a try, it's worth it, believe me.
Otherwise, there's an alternative if you like rocket salad / arugula : rocket salad / arugula pesto mixed with almonds - being sweet they dampen the bitterness of the rocket salad a bit, add oil and Parmesan, a pinch of salt and you've done it. It's also great as a pasta sauce :)

Perhaps try cutting the aubergine slices slightly less thick

Great idea to use a skewer at the bottom of the eggplant :thumbsup:

Yes. It looked so good that I wanted to try it. I'm still trying to work on making weekly menus but have succeeded yet.

I have basil pesto on my shopping list for when I go to the next largest town where I should have better luck finding it.

I've had rocket salad and enjoy it. Again, I'm trapped (maybe too harsh a word) in a small town so my grocery options are very limited. I have arugula on my long-distance shopping list too.

I will make the slices smaller next time. I have eaten half of it already. It's so good.

Thanks again for sharing a great recipe!

I had it just as a course on its own because it seemed enough to me, but I'm thinking that served with roast potatoes might be a good idea, probably better..:p:

I agree. I had a few slices for lunch and it was perfect as a stand alone.

If I would pair it with anything, I might have a small salad or make it with a pasta sauce (in the bottom of the pan) and have crusty bread.

I hope others try it. It really is delicious.

Place it horizontally on the chopping board, slice it about 1 cm/1 inch and stopping before reaching the bottom of the aubergine. The slices must stay attached to the base of the aubergine, it has to be in one piece.

I noticed when I was looking at how long/temp you baked that the slicing thickness measurements are off. I'm sure it's just a typo, but there's a big difference between 1 cm and 1 inch. I ended up cutting about 3/8 inch slices, which may still be a bit thick, will see when I stuff.

I noticed when I was looking at how long/temp you baked that the slicing thickness measurements are off. I'm sure it's just a typo, but there's a big difference between 1 cm and 1 inch. I ended up cutting about 3/8 inch slices, which may still be a bit thick, will see when I stuff.

Yep it’s an oversight, 1 cm is ok as thickness

Back
Top Bottom