I've ordered an Instant Pot

oddduck

Über Member
Local time
7:18 AM
so black friday has arrived...on a Thursday...and i bought the instant pot that i have been researching for a significant savings...y'all know i can't buy full price...so it should be here in about a week. I've downloaded a free vegan instant pot cookbook from ibooks cause the regular vegetarian ones all cost money lol. So i am all set to cook something when it arrives.

Its an electric pressure cooker?
Yes they are an electric pressure cooker and slow cooker - a great bit of kit. I've had one for years and typically use it several times a week - its not the all-singing-all-dancing smart one but it does everything I need it to :okay:
My review is here :happy:

I think you can get them here but they aren't well known.
They're available from instantpot.co.uk, Amazon and Costco, but I don't think they're in any of the big shops. Pressure cooking in general doesn't seem to be that popular over here - not sure why, when its so easy and convenient :scratchhead: Despite all the food programmes on TV you hardly ever see someone using a pressure cooker, and when you do it tends to be a stove top one.

I've got one, the Instant Pot Duo.

Nice bit of kit, you can sauté ingredients in the pot and then select from several options, pressure, non pressure, slow cook etc. etc.

Does wonderfully tender ribs.

DSC_0941.jpg

Yes they are an electric pressure cooker and slow cooker - a great bit of kit. I've had one for years and typically use it several times a week - its not the all-singing-all-dancing smart one but it does everything I need it to :okay:
My review is here :happy:

They're available from instantpot.co.uk, Amazon and Costco, but I don't think they're in any of the big shops. Pressure cooking in general doesn't seem to be that popular over here - not sure why, when its so easy and convenient :scratchhead: Despite all the food programmes on TV you hardly ever see someone using a pressure cooker, and when you do it tends to be a stove top one.

Oh gosh! I forgot that you gave us that excellent review. Thank you. You are right that pressure cooking isn't popular here. I'm not that keen on it myself or should I say I've only ever had disasters. I don't like not being able to open the lid to see what is happening, taste test etc.

I got the one with all the bells and whistles...the 10 in 1....i chose the instant pot brand cause of the stainless insert that wasn't nonstick coated and the reviews were good. I am hoping to use it to speed up the cooking of beans mostly but it seems like a handy device so i am sure i will find more uses. My sis sent me some birthday cash last month to help pay for one but suggested i wait til black friday since prices would be lower so i saved about $80 by waiting. Now the wait for it to arrive.

I got the one with all the bells and whistles...the 10 in 1....i chose the instant pot brand cause of the stainless insert that wasn't nonstick coated and the reviews were good. I am hoping to use it to speed up the cooking of beans mostly but it seems like a handy device so i am sure i will find more uses. My sis sent me some birthday cash last month to help pay for one but suggested i wait til black friday since prices would be lower so i saved about $80 by waiting. Now the wait for it to arrive.

Did my Christmas Puds in it a few weeks ago. Takes a fraction of the time.

I'm not that keen on it myself or should I say I've only ever had disasters. I don't like not being able to open the lid to see what is happening, taste test etc.
True you can't keep opening the lid when you're pressure cooking (you have to trust your recipe timings), if you're using it as a slow cooker though then you can take the lid off as many times as you like.

I think a lot of people have only seen stove top pressure cookers and have had bad experiences with them: found it too complicated or stressful, or the recipe didn't turn out right. I find electric pressure cookers are far easier to use and produce much more reliable results: with stove top ones you have to faff about keeping the pressure/heat at the right level and if you get it wrong then your meat comes out tough or your beans aren't cooked. Whereas with the electric one you programme the time you want and it does it all for you - so things like rice and beans come out perfectly every time. Meat is a little less reliable because of variations in cuts and sizes, but is still far easier in an electric one.

I got the one with all the bells and whistles...the 10 in 1....i chose the instant pot brand cause of the stainless insert that wasn't nonstick coated and the reviews were good.
That 10 in 1 model looks very nice :D I can't justify the cost to upgrade (as my basic one is still going strong), I really like the look of the digital display though.
If you're on Facebook you might want to join a couple of the Instant Pot recipe groups for inspiration and lots of tried and tested recipes :okay:

I looked at the different models, if my sis hadn't sent the birthday cash i would have gone with the 7 in 1 cause it was on sale at a couple of places with a smaller price but since she sent it in a card that said put it towards your instant pot fund i was able to splurge. I think the sterilizing feature might come in handy but i am not sure if i am brave enough to make my own yogurt. Maybe i'll try a cake.

I had planned to use it to make chili today since its chilly but work called instead.

I just use the pressure cooker we inherited when Craig's brother passed. I wouldn't use one for a very long time because I saw the results of an over-filled /blocked release valve with her roommate when my cousin was in hospital due to appendicitis in our early teens. Think early 1970s, polyester pantsuits, girdles and a pressure cooker explosion, horrible result. My mom even quit using and threw away the pressure cooker she had used frequently for lots of things after that. It took me several years before I'd use the one we inherited, but I finally did, though was extremely careful about using it, still am actually, bordering on paranoia. I do really like it though for cooking greens and dried beans, and have even used it to cook things like tough beef cuts on occasion if I don't have time for long cooks. Just be careful about using it correctly when you are using it as a pressure cooker. They have added safety features now to avoid incidents like the above, but you still need to follow the basic safety guidelines about not overfilling, making sure pressure release valves are clear, etc.

Last edited:
I actually sold my mom's pressure cooker at a garage sale. It was aluminum and i am phasinging aluminum out of my kitchen and replacing it with stainless steel. The instant pot has a stainless steel insert and was one of the major selling points over its competitors. Plus the fact it can be a slow cooker and a heap of other things made me want it.

Stainless steel poses a problem also.

A white film can form on the inside from cooking most starchy foods, such as potatoes, pasta, rice & oatmeal.
But it can be easily cleaned out with Wright's Copper Cleaner. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom