The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
2:31 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
a4d1e3e4-5873-4237-9d52-b937cca7b76a-jpeg.jpg

I started out with Bobby Flay’s recipe (which incidentally I have heard is actually his wife’s recipe). But, of course, I had to change some things. Preparations like this are why people love grits. I honestly didn’t understand that before. I used to think of grits as nothing more than a bland bowl of mush with a grainy texture. I have had grits at restaurants that were excellent, but for some reason I never figured out the obvious until I made them myself. Grits are a blank canvas, much like pasta. I don't know anyone who likes a plain bowl of tagliatelle with nothing on it. It's the same story here.

When I started modifying the original recipe, I had to resist the urge to complicate it with different techniques or ingredients. This is a simple recipe, but it works.

Ingredients

2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup instant grits
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
1 cup cheddar, grated
1 teaspoon garlic salt, adjusted to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).

2. Sauté onion and peppers in a pan with oil, then set aside.

3. Prepare grits according to directions in a ceramic casserole pan. Whisk together eggs. Blend in all ingredients, including sautéed onion and peppers. Check the taste and add garlic salt if needed.

4. Bake for 1 hour.

Last edited:
Your next experiment should be with long cooking stone ground grits. Big difference versus instant.

Thanks for that. I realized the instant was just dipping my toe in the water. I will definitely give this a try.

By the way, how would you photograph grits so they look decent? There just doesn’t seem to be a way without putting something on top of it (like shrimp).

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I realized the instant was just dipping my toe in the water. I will definitely give this a try.

By the way, how would you photograph grits so they look decent? There just doesn’t seem to be a way without putting something on top of it (like shrimp).
I have no idea how to make them look pretty by themselves. One of the photographers will have to answer that. Grit cakes that have firmed up and been fried would be pretty with some sauce and maybe some green garnish. Maybe loose grits on a smallish bowl that have been scooped out with a big ice cream scoop?

Back
Top Bottom