Jamie Oliver books - opinions?

vegan93

Veteran
Local time
9:57 PM
I really like and watch the Jamie Oliver cooking shows on television since years now.

Also my parents are big fans of his work so own all the books. The books are really nice print jobs, full of big, nicely lit and photographed pictures.

Somehow I feel that Jamie Oliver cooks logical - everyday things. I really like his cooking ad everyday style.

Jamie Oliver fans here?

I have not bought any of his books although I have browsed some of them from a local bookstore. I follow him on youtube including some of his students. I guess I prefer J.O. over the cursing counterpart of his :speechless:

I have some of his books. He is plastered all over our TV here in the UK! Yes, his style is everyday cooking, not refined Michelin star stuff.
By the way, @vegan93, you should add your location under your picture. Not only is it interesting to know which country people are in, it sometimes really helps when we are talking about ingredients, recipes etc. Its easy to do. See here: How to add your location to below your avatar

Found him to be "a wee bit patronising" and only too willing to talk down to you. Fond of the verbal put down.
The all swinging, swearing, knife wielding counterpart plays up to his TV image. But I've seen him vault a bar, go into the kitchen, roll up his sleeves and get stuck in helping out. Without being asked and no swearing.
Don't think Oliver would do that.

Yes, the patronizing part was my problem too.
Talks like a kid's how host sometimes, but also looks like a really down-to-earth in my opinion.

I have some of his books. He is plastered all over our TV here in the UK! Yes, his style is everyday cooking, not refined Michelin star stuff.
By the way, @vegan93, you should add your location under your picture. Not only is it interesting to know which country people are in, it sometimes really helps when we are talking about ingredients, recipes etc. Its easy to do. See here: How to add your location to below your avatar

Agreed, he is a good every day cook. Think modern Delia - his fish pie recipe is divine. wouldn't rate top of my favourite chef list but he is very engaging so I think it's great that he entices people into cooking. Also he has pioneered the movement against sugar laden food and drink here in the UK, so top marks from me.

I LOVE Jamie Oliver and catch him on the Food Network every chance I get. My opinion is the same as pretty much all of you, I like that he is an every day cook and makes things that I could simply make at home. Good, wholesome food. He's big here in Canada and has partnered up with a grocery store chain to bring healthy foods to our tables and whatnot. I don't have any of his books though which is surprising to me but there is at least one that I want to get so hopefully I will get my hands on it soon.

I can remember when he was first on tv ,a extra in the back ground at the river cafe ,he shone out ,a star in the making,he has gone from strength to strength,has he got a bit samey?a bit,moral crusades,bringing up his family,still a good celebrity chef

Back
Top Bottom