Recipe Japanese Chestnut Rice

Rhodolite

Veteran
Local time
5:49 PM
I love eating chestnuts during fall/winter because it's such a quintessential part of Asian seasonal food. Though the recipe calls for Japanese short grain rice...I substitute with Calrose since it's sweet and more commonly available in the states...

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cup of Calrose
1 tablespoon of sake
1 teaspoon of salt
20-25 chestnuts
2 2/3 cups of water

Put the rice in a bowl, wash with cold water until the water's clear then let it soak for 30 minutes. After wards drain the water in a sieve for about 15 minutes. Personally I don't typically wash the rice because it loses nutrients that way.

Take a medium pot full of water and bring it to a boil, put chestnuts in the water and cover with the lid. Turn off the heat. Set aside for 30 minutes and drain.

Peel the chestnuts of their shell and inner skin while they're still warm. Allow them to soak in a bowl of water for 10 minutes, drain again. If the chestnuts are large, cut them in half to allow for better cooking.

Put the rice, sake, water and salt in a pot and mix the ingredients together. Put the chestnuts on top. Bring the pot to a boil over medium heat. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cook everything covered for 12-13 minutes or until water is completely absorbed.

Remove from heat source and let it sit for 10 minutes with the lid still on.

Fluff and mix the contents. You can garnish the dish with sesame seeds.

Back
Top Bottom