Recipe Japanese Gyoza (dumplings)

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
1:50 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
One of my favorite Japanese foods and also one of the first Japanese dishes I learned how to make!

Ingredients:

400g lean pork mince
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
30 gyoza wrappers (might have to check an Asian grocer if they don't have it at your supermarket!)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Place mince, cabbage, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Stir to combine. Place wrappers on work surface. Make dumplings: Spoon 1 heaped teaspoon mince mixture on 1 half of wrappers. Brush edges with cold water. Fold remaining wrapper halves over to enclose filling. Press edges together to seal.

Heat half the vegetable oil in a large frypan over high heat. Remove from heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Arrange half the dumplings in pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bases are browned. Add 1/2 cup hot water. Cover with lid. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Remove from heat. Uncover. Stand for 1 to 2 minutes or until dumplings come away from pan easily. Repeat with remaining oil and dumplings.

I like these dipped in sweet chili sauce but you could really make any sort of dipping sauce that takes your fancy!

Do you know, I nearly posted a recipe so similar to this but I haven't got round to making them (I set myself a silly rule that I will only post things I make and photograph in the Challenge!). The thing is, that the version I know is Chinese steamed dumplings using wanton wrappers. They aren't fried on the base but just steamed. Otherwise its virtually the same. A good recipe.

Do you know, I nearly posted a recipe so similar to this but I haven't got round to making them (I set myself a silly rule that I will only post things I make and photograph in the Challenge!). The thing is, that the version I know is Chinese steamed dumplings using wanton wrappers. They aren't fried on the base but just steamed. Otherwise its virtually the same. A good recipe.

I love that though, and I love that you always take pictures too. I need to do more of that. This is one on my regular rotation but it tends to be a weekend thing - it gets a bit time consuming putting them all together. Weeknights are often slow cooker dishes (particularly at this time of year!)

Yup, here in Japan those wrappers are as common as bread would be in a normal supermarket! You can find them pre-made everywhere! :)

They are a fun food to make as a group, too - just sitting there folding them up and filling them is quite relaxing!

Back
Top Bottom