Japanese ingredients becoming mainstream

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:02 AM
Sushi restaurants in the U.S. represent a $3 billion segment, and according to IbisWorld, they have enjoyed an annual growth rate of more than 3 percent over the past five years.

But it seems that traditional Japanese ingredients such as Wasabi, Togarashi ,Furikaka and Miso are now finding their way into all kinds of Western style recipes with dishes such as togarashi ranch dressing; sous-vide hanger steak, with added sunny-side-up eggs, kimchi, rice and furikake; wasabi mayo and miso butterscotch cookies.

Do you use Japanese ingredients in Western style or fusion dishes? Examples if you have them!

Source: https://www.nrn.com/food-trends/japanese-ingredients-move-mainstream

Last edited:
Wasabi and miso are the only of those that I am familiar with. Wasabi is a great taste, but with fresh horseradish growing in the garden I wouldn't buy it. Miso I have used in soups, I can't think of a home grown alternative to its lovely salty umami taste. It's very cheap too.

Wasabi and miso are the only of those that I am familiar with. Wasabi is a great taste, but with fresh horseradish growing in the garden I wouldn't buy it. Miso I have used in soups, I can't think of a home grown alternative to its lovely salty umami taste. It's very cheap too.

Miso isn't cheap! Well I don't think so... I use it in all sorts of things - stews etc.

Nori, mirin and sushi rice are always on hand, but we keep Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese and Korean ingredients as well. We are growing Shishito peppers and Shiso right now. Miso is pretty cheap here and I think we've made a dish with it once.

It is if you buy the little sachets of soup - cheap as chips!

Oh I see - I was taking about miso paste - this one which I usually get is £4. A little goes a very long way, though.

71229011_0_280x280.jpg

We usually go to the Asian markets when we are buying Asian ingredients. They are so much cheaper than at a regular grocery store. BUT, we have a medium sized Asian market about 10 minutes away, and a huge one about 20-25 minutes away so it's convenient for us.

We've had some fresh root a couple of times. I don't remember how much it was, but do remember thinking that's pretty expensive for the amount we got. It's not nearly as pungent as the paste or the powder.

I'm a big fan of Teppanyaki. There are a couple of joints that I frequent. Don't really care for sushi, though. I don't make it at home, one reason being is that they cook everything up on one of those steel drums. Kind of 1980s Benihana style LOL. Years ago, I used to visit a Japanese restaurant in Palm Desert called Kobe. The food was amazing. Always look forward to having the gyoza, as well. May pay them a visit this weekend

Last edited:
Benihaha's are still around and they are still being built as development continues. Hope we have enough water supply.

Back
Top Bottom