Japanese Korokke

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
10:07 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
One of my favorite "fast foods" in Japan is korokke. They sell them at the supermarkets here pre-cooked but fresh, and if you sound out the name you might think it sounds like "croquette" which is exactly what it is!

We just reheat ours in our toaster oven at home to re-crisp them!

stress015.jpg

There's plenty of types, but the most common ones I have come across are potato/mixed veggies and potato and beef. Individually they are priced anywhere between about 50-100 yen (around 50 cents to a dollar US).

Quick, easy and yummy.

I have seen these at the grocery store but I have never purchased them. I waste sure what they would be like. Now that you mentioned them, maybe I will pick up some the next time I'm there. They sell them in packages of six here. Do you dip them in any sauce or anything or just eat them like that?

They sound good. I am not sure I will ever get to Japan, but I have been to Hawaii. They sell a number of products there to cater to Japanese residents. I never saw so many varieties of fish, and fish products. I am not sure if the products you were talking about were there, but perhaps somewhere.

I have seen these at the grocery store but I have never purchased them. I waste sure what they would be like. Now that you mentioned them, maybe I will pick up some the next time I'm there. They sell them in packages of six here. Do you dip them in any sauce or anything or just eat them like that?

I'm a little untraditional in that I dip them in barbecue sauce or sweet chilli sauce (both are decidedly not Japanese!) but I know a few people here that like to use the traditional Japanese Tonkatsu sauce with them. The tonkatsu sauce reminds me a little of a barbecue type sauce...it's a sweet but savory type flavor and is about the color and thickness of barbecue sauce.

Tonkatsu-Sauce.jpg

Ok thanks I will check around and see if I can find it. If not I will stick with bbq sauce. That sounds good to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom