Japanese : Tamagoyaki

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
12:10 AM
Anyone tried the Japanese omelet that has this interesting square shape? I am having some challenges manipulating the egg to achieve the desired shape while making sure that it does not burn in such a short cooking time. I do not have the long squarish pan to help me shape it the way I want to. Any alternative to the square pan?

I must admit that I have never heard of this one. I would think that trying to get an egg into a square shape would be quite difficult using an ordinary frying pan. Using a small squarish pan is the only way I can think of for getting the omelet into a square shape. As you said, trying to manipulate the egg into that shape with a spatula could take longer than is necessary for the egg to cook, and the egg would then end up with a lot of burnt edges. I somehow prefer a round-shaped or oblong-shaped omelet.

I suppose you could try using a non-stick square or oblong baking tin. To be honest, the oblong is (I'm hesitating saying this) only aesthetics (like a lot of things in Japanese cuisine). You can make this from a round omelette by trimming the edges before or after rolling. What other ingredients are you using?

You can get Japanese gadgets for making square hard boiled eggs. But, guess what, they taste the same as round ones! :happy:

Living in Japan right now I see frypans like this in the stores all the time.

pet-square-cat_4965220204606.gif

Short of getting a brand new pan though, the only thing I could think of doing is literally cutting it down to size. Make the normal circle shaped omelet and then just trim the ends off...otherwise just roll it up and it will be a little crooked (thicker in the middle than on the ends!) but taste wise will be just fine!

Yes that is the cooking pan they use to create this tamagoyaki. I do agree with the fact that Japanese cooking entails aesthetics and all. I guess as a first time cook I want to follow the recipe by the letter. I am just so excited to try new stuff but I do appreciate all the comments which are more practical.

I was surprised with that square pan of yours, @cupcakechef. I didn't know that there's a utensil like that. With the Japanese pastry, I have seen that already, I guess, in the hotel's buffet table but I haven't sampled it yet. So maybe in my next sojourn in a hotel, I would have to taste that tamagochi or whatever you call it. Thanks for the info and thanks also for that photo of a small dust pan looking pan.

I was surprised with that square pan of yours, @cupcakechef. I didn't know that there's a utensil like that. With the Japanese pastry, I have seen that already, I guess, in the hotel's buffet table but I haven't sampled it yet. So maybe in my next sojourn in a hotel, I would have to taste that tamagochi or whatever you call it. Thanks for the info and thanks also for that photo of a small dust pan looking pan.
Hahaha a tamagochi is a virtual pet I guess I think I am beginning to like your sense of humor. The Japanese are very particular with how they present their food. Sometimes I find it not practical at all to do all those artsy fartsy aery faery details they put or do with their food. I am not against it I like it but if I were to follow all their practices I might end up getting frustrated

Back
Top Bottom