Jello Salads

Backbay

Über Member
Local time
5:47 PM
[Mod Edit}: Post moved from another thread to start a new topic.

Remember those jello salads well! How about the metal molds they sold in the shape of fish or ornate ring molds? At some point they had a copper finish and would double as decor on kitchen walls...

Last edited by a moderator:
As said elsewhere, jello salads are not really known in the UK so its fascinating. In the UK there are historic salads (often vegetables) in aspic which is a type of jelly. They were popular in Victorian Britain (possibly before) and I have some old recipe books with such 'savouries'. So - I'm wondering if that is the origin of the American Jello salad. Certainly the brass mould is familiar in terms of Victorian aspic jellies.

As said elsewhere, jello salads are not really known in the UK so its fascinating. In the UK there are historic salads (often vegetables) in aspic which is a type of jelly. They were popular in Victorian Britain (possibly before) and I have some old recipe books with such 'savouries'. So - I'm wondering if that is the origin of the American Jello salad. Certainly the brass mould is familiar in terms of Victorian aspic jellies.

Jello salads over here seemed to be at their peak when I was a kid in the 60s. My mom had a whole set of copper colored Jello molds. She gave them to me about ten years ago to see if I could get anything for them on eBay. Nope. They were copper colored, not copper. Worthless.

The one my mom made most was orange jello with julienned carrots. She made some others with other fruits and marshmallows.

I don't know the origins, but the death of those Jello salads came in the late 70s. I can't say that I miss them. They weren't all that bad, but not all that good, either.

CD

We were married in 1990 and one of our gifts was a Tupperware jello mold, and in that exact lovely shade of green that lime jello mixed with sherbet or mayonnaise (depending on the salad) turns.

C'mon...who wouldn't want to tuck right into this:

You might like this:
17 Horrifyingly Disgusting Retro Gelatin Recipes

I'll also add that we were on a Danube cruise in 2010, and during our two nights in Vienna, they served a special meal for supper that was taken from the court of the Hapsburgs.

One of the starters was unseasoned ground beef, fried up to the consistency of rice, then suspended in a little pyramid of unflavored aspic.

It was $&#%@ nasty! Bland gooey mouthfeel followed by ground beef pellets, like rat turds. Simply awful.

I remember those Tupperware jello molds! Mother had 1 that had different bottoms that you could change, like a heart for Valentine's, a star for either the 4th or Christmas, a Christmas tree, etc. And one that had a tube in it, sort of making it into a ring mold. I never liked the green salads either, though do like the orange jello/grated carrot/crushed pineapple and cherry jello based salads.

Does anyone here remember pistachio pudding? It was some kind of green Jello, whipped cream, pistachios, diced pineapple and mini marshmallows, as I remember it. It really wasn't bad at all. I actually liked it.

CD

Does anyone here remember pistachio pudding? It was some kind of green Jello, whipped cream, pistachios, diced pineapple and mini marshmallows, as I remember it. It really wasn't bad at all. I actually liked it.

CD
Yeah, that's one of the variations of the green jello salad I mentioned. There's probably a whole category of green jello salads.

CD
I remember it or something similar. my paternal grandma would make it. And, you are right, as Jello salads go it wasn’t that bad.

Mixing cool whip and jello was a big deal in the 70s also - i vaguely remember strawberry jello with cool whip mixed in and fresh starwberries.

We were married in 1990 and one of our gifts was a Tupperware jello mold, and in that exact lovely shade of green that lime jello mixed with sherbet or mayonnaise (depending on the salad) turns.

C'mon...who wouldn't want to tuck right into this:

You might like this:
17 Horrifyingly Disgusting Retro Gelatin Recipes

Oddly enough I rather like some of the retro gelatin recipes listed there - its the combination of an artificially coloured sweet fruit jelly with savoury ingredients which I find bizarre. I now fully intend to bring back on trend the gelatine savoury... watch this space. That is next - after I make gumbo recipes and cranberry recipes.

One of the starters was unseasoned ground beef, fried up to the consistency of rice, then suspended in a little pyramid of unflavored aspic.

It was $&#%@ nasty! Bland gooey mouthfeel followed by ground beef pellets, like rat turds. Simply awful.

That sounds seriously horrible.

CD

I'm really hoping that this meant to be a sweet pudding and not a savoury salad course.

Back
Top Bottom