Juniper Berries - have you ever used them?

buckytom

Veteran
Local time
8:47 AM
Mod. Edit This and the following few posts moved to start a new thread.

I've been tempted to try Juniper berries, something akin to pine.
I don't know if all Junipers are safe to eat, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've grown several types of Junipers over the years, and it's interesting to crush the berries in your fingers to sniff them.

Then I saw a Scandinavian cooking show that used them, albeit sparingly, but it made me think about their culinary use, outside of gin.

Thanks. I've grown several types of Junipers over the years, and it's interesting to crush the berries in your fingers to sniff them.

Then I saw a Scandinavian cooking show that used them, albeit sparingly, but it made me think about their culinary use, outside of gin.

Yes - popular in Scandi cooking. I intend to feature it in 'spice of the month' but as it is generally considered a winter spice I thought I would save that for the Autumn. But perhaps it would be a good idea to do it next. After all, why stick to tradition? Anyway it is winter coming up for the Aussies...

Juniper berries are pretty out there as far as an ingredient goes. I doubt it will get much participation.

Outside of Scandinavian cooking, I've never seen a recipe that calls for them.
What kind of recipes use them in the UK?

Outside of Scandinavian cooking, I've never seen a recipe that calls for them.
What kind of recipes use them in the UK?
Typically game, pork, duck, venison but they can be used with fish too and I’m now thinking of how they could work with vegetables. The tradition of using juniper in the above goes back a long way I think. Its traditional British cooking - not working class cooking so much as posh ‘stately home’ cooking, I think! Some fantastic recipes here:

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/ingredients/juniper-berry-recipes

Last edited:
Juniper berries seem like an ingredient that chefs try to incorporate to show how clever they are. I once ate at an otherwise phenomenal restaurant where the chef used lavender in a smoked rainbow trout dish. It was brought to me by accident, and I was allowed to keep it free of charged. The dish was excellent...except for the lavender. No, I will not be creating a similar Lavender - have you ever used it? thread. My review is at the top of the Recommended Reviews section, in case you want to find out about the rest of my experience:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chartreuse-detroit

Come to think of it, they had some fantastic ideas that I haven't tried making myself (yet).

In the UK, juniper is not so uncommon and not really so 'chefy'. I think its regarded as bit of an 'old fashioned' tried and tested spice which works fantastically well with game. Its often used in stuffings for game birds and in terrines. Having said this I know there are a lot of people in the UK who probably wouldn't know what to do with it. Its a cook's spice but it is found in every supermarket.

It was brought to me by accident, and I was allowed to keep it free of charged.

That is what I call excellent service! Did you eat the dish you had ordered as well?

In the UK, juniper is not so uncommon and not really so 'chefy'. I think its regarded as bit of an 'old fashioned' tried and tested spice which works fantastically well with game. Its often used in stuffings for game birds and in terrines. Having said this I know there are a lot of people in the UK who probably wouldn't know what to do with it. Its a cook's spice but it is found in every supermarket.

Well, then...maybe I'll have to pick some up. Or, maybe the winner of this month's challenge will pick that as next month's ingredient? :chef:

That is what I call excellent service! Did you eat the dish you had ordered as well?
Absolutely....at least bits of it. Whenever I try a new restaurant - particularly one that's been highly acclaimed - I want to sample as many things as I can (at least, as many things as I can afford).

I thought they were a rarity in the States - but I just looked at Walmart's website and they have plenty! But they seem to be about three to four times the price that they cost here.
That is with most herbs and spices here.

Back
Top Bottom